The Beat Goes On (Sonny & Cher song)
|"The Beat Goes On"|
Artwork for German vinyl single
|Single by Sonny & Cher|
|from the album In Case You're in Love|
|B-side||"Love Don't Come"|
|Sonny & Cher singles chronology|
"The Beat Goes On" is a Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 hit song written and composed by Sonny Bono and recorded by Sonny & Cher. It was issued as a single and appeared on their 1967 album In Case You're in Love. It entered the Billboard Hot 100 chart on January 14, 1967, peaking at number six.
The backing music for the song was recorded using the renowned group of Los Angeles session musicians who, in time, came to be known collectively as "The Wrecking Crew." The arrangement is credited to Harold Battiste, but Wrecking Crew bassist Carol Kaye asserts that at the session she devised the distinctive syncopated bass line that is featured on the released recording, replacing the original walking bass line in the prepared arrangement:
- Songfacts: "What's an example of one of the songs that you guys really added to and made it into a hit?"
- Carol Kaye: "Well, "The Beat Goes On" is a biggie. I mean, it was a nothing song, and then the bass line kind of made that. But you'd have to say all of them. There's only a certain song, like "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" that was guaranteed to be a hit because it was a great song. But about 95% of that stuff would not have been a hit without us, that's true."
The song was sung at Sonny Bono's funeral, and the phrase "And the beat goes on" appears on his tombstone.
The song's lyrics deal mainly with current events of the time, with the refrain "(And) the beat goes on, the beat goes on" following each verse.
Sonny and Cher performed the song many times on their hit '70s television variety shows, as well as in their live concerts. The song was included in the "Sonny and Cher" video montages during Cher's Do You Believe? Tour and The Farewell Tour. Cher performed the song live with Sonny's voice track on her successful Cher at the Colosseum show as well as her 2014 Dressed to Kill Tour and 2017-2019 Classic Cher shows. It's also performed during her Here We Go Again Tour (2018-2019).
|"Beat Goes On"|
|Single by All Seeing I|
|from the album Pickled Eggs and Sherbet|
|B-side||"Booty in the I"|
|Label||Earth Records, FFRR|
|All Seeing I singles chronology|
Over the years, the song has been covered by numerous artists.
- In 1967, the American jazz musician Buddy Rich performed a version on his Big Swing Face album, with his daughter Cathy on vocals, arranged by Shorty Rogers.
- The song was covered by Turkish band Silüetler and Gabor Szabo on his 1967 album The Sorcerer.
- In 1968, Vanilla Fudge included a version of it on their album The Beat Goes On, which they released that year.
- The R&B band Booker T. & the M.G.'s released a version on their Doin' Our Thing album in April 1968.
An Australian version, produced by former Skyhooks guitarist Red Symons, became a Top 30 hit in 1983; it was recorded by Melbourne cabaret duo the Globos, which featured singers Wendy De Waal and Mark Trevorrow, the latter of whom later gained renown for his comedic alter-ego Bob Downe.
In 1998, a version by British electronic music group All Seeing I peaked at number 11 in the UK Singles Chart. The group also produced a cover version of the song for Britney Spears in November 1998, as the last track on her debut album, ...Baby One More Time.
The Pittsburgh, PA-based band The Spuds recorded a version for the 2007 tribute album BONOGRAPH: Sonny Gets His Share.
In 2008, a version by the French acid jazz group Le Cercle was included on their album Magnetic.
This song is incorrectly referred to as "AND The Beat Goes On" due to the closing lyric adding the word "and" to the song's title. The Whispers, an R&B vocal group, released an unrelated song, which they titled "And the Beat Goes On," in 1980.
- Sonny Bono interviewed on the Pop Chronicles (1969)
- "Songfacts: Songwriter Interviews - Carol Kaye (interviewed Oct. 12 2011)". Songfacts.com. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Bruce Eder. "In Case You're in Love - Sonny & Cher - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Billboard - Hits of the World" (PDF). Americanradiohistory.com. 1967-03-04. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-29. Retrieved 2015-04-16.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "RPM chart archives at Collections Canada for the Cher single The Beat Goes On". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Archived from the original on August 12, 2016. Retrieved October 25, 2014.
- Dutch Top 40 (1967). "Dutch Top 40; End of year charts" (PDF). Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- "Top Records of 1967 – Hot 100". Billboard. 79 (52): 42. December 30, 1967. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "The Buddy Rich Big Band* - Big Swing Face (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- Roberts, David (Ed.) (2004). British Hit Singles & Albums (17th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. ISBN 0-85112-199-3.