The Beat Goes On (Vanilla Fudge album)
|The Beat Goes On|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||Ultra-Sonic Studios in Hempstead, L.I.|
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, proto-prog|
|Producer||John Linde, Shadow Morton|
|Vanilla Fudge chronology|
The Beat Goes On (Atco Records 33-237/mono, SD 33-237/stereo) is the second album by the American psychedelic rock band Vanilla Fudge, released in early 1968. The album doesn't contain any real "songs", but rather a sound collage featuring many different elements: the voices of world leaders past and present, the band reciting pre-written mantras and reflections, and excerpts of songs (done "Vanilla Fudge style") by The Beatles and Sonny Bono.
The group was at odds with producer George "Shadow" Morton during recording, as Morton made his own concept album without significant input from them. In the liner notes of Sundazed Records' 1990 CD reissue, the band denounces it as a failed experiment on the producer's part. The Fudge's third album, Renaissance, released quickly after The Beat Goes On, would be Morton's last collaboration with the band.
In his autobiography Stick It!, Carmine Appice declares: "Even listening to it now – which, let me tell you, I rarely fucking do – The Beat Goes On sounds like an album that Spinal Tap would be wary of making."
- "Sketch" (Appice, Bogert, Martell, Stein) - 2:55
- "Intro: The Beat Goes On" (Sonny Bono) - 1:57
- Eighteenth Century: Variations on a Theme by Mozart: "Divertimento No. 13 In F Major" (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart) - 0:46
- Nineteenth Century: "Old Black Joe" (Stephen Foster) - 0:46
- Twentieth Century - 3:09
- The Beatles - 1:45
- "The Beat Goes On" - 1:32
- Beethoven: "Fur Elise" & "Moonlight Sonata" (Ludwig van Beethoven) - 6:33
- "The Beat Goes On" - 1:05
- "The Beat Goes On" - 1:00
- "Voices in Time": Neville Chamberlain, Winston Churchill, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy and Other Voices - 8:09
- "The Beat Goes On" - 1:50
- "Merchant/The Game Is Over" - 8:57
- "Merchant" (Appice, Bogert, Martell, Stein)
- "The Game Is Over" (Bourtayre, Bouchety): Vinnie
- "The Game Is Over": Tim
- "The Game Is Over": Carmine
- "The Game Is Over": Mark
- "The Beat Goes On" - 2:20
Bonus Phase [CD release only]
- "You Can't Do That" (Lennon, McCartney)
- "Come By Day, Come By Night" (Appice, Bogert, Martell, Stein)
- Carmine Appice - drums, vocals
- Tim Bogert - bass, vocals
- Vince Martell - guitar, vocals
- Mark Stein - lead vocals, keyboards
- The Beat Goes On at AllMusic
- Rees, Dafydd; Crampton, Luke (1999). Rock Stars Encyclopedia (2 ed.). DK Pub. p. 1035. ISBN 0789446138.
- Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 1" (audio). Pop Chronicles. University of North Texas Libraries.