The Beatles Ballads
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Beatles Ballads|
|Compilation album by The Beatles|
|Released||14 October 1980|
|Recorded||1962–1970 at EMI, Trident and Apple studios, London|
|Producer||George Martin and Phil Spector|
|The Beatles British chronology|
The Beatles Ballads is a compilation album featuring a selection of ballad songs by The Beatles. The album was not released in the United States, but in Mexico, the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, Germany, Italy, India, South Korea and Australia. In Australia, the album was a big success, spending 7 weeks at #1. It reached #40 in the UK.
The cover art by "Patrick" (John Byrne) had been created in 1968 as a possible cover for what would become The Beatles ("The White Album"). Its style and concept appears to support the White Album's original working title of A Doll's House.
The album was released in 1985 on LP and cassette under the EMI-ODEON label in Brazil using identical front and back cover art. It has never been officially released on compact disc.
All songs written by Lennon–McCartney, except where indicated.
Despite a running time of almost one hour the vinyl edition of this release has only ever been available as a single LP, rather than as a double set as sometimes presumed. Also note that for some of the tracks, such as "Norwegian Wood," EMI Records did not use the mixes of the originally-released versions of the tracks. In South Korea, "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" was censored until 1993, so it was replaced with "Girl".
- "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"
- "Do You Want to Know a Secret"
- "For No One"
- "Nowhere Man"
- "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"
- "Across the Universe" ("Wildlife" version from a British various artists charity album titled No One's Gonna Change Our World)
- "All My Loving"
- "Hey Jude"
- Side two
- "Something" (Harrison)
- "The Fool on the Hill"
- "Till There Was You" (Willson)
- "The Long and Winding Road"
- "Here Comes the Sun" (Harrison)
- "And I Love Her"
- "She's Leaving Home"
- "Here, There and Everywhere"
- "Let It Be"
Charts and certifications
-  Archived March 2, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Beatles Ballads". Norwegianwood.org. 1980-10-20. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- Kent, David (2005). Australian Chart Book (1940–1969). Turramurra: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-44439-5.
- "Top RPM Albums: Issue 0898." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Charts.org.nz – The Beatles – Rarities". Hung Medien. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "The Beatles | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "British album certifications – The Beatles – The Beatles Ballads". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 17 May 2016. Enter The Beatles Ballads in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "Canadian album certifications – The Beatles – The Beatles Ballads". Music Canada. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
Corroboree by Split Enz
|Australian Kent Music Report number-one album
18 May – 5 July 1981
Bad Habits by Billy Field