The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit
|The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit|
DVD cover of The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit
|Directed by||Kathy Dougherty
Susan Frömke (as Susan Froemke)
|Produced by||Susan Frömke|
Murray The K
|Distributed by||MPI Home Video (1991)
Apple Films (2004)
13 November 1991
3 February 2004 (United States)
9 February 2004 (other countries)
The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit is a 1990 re-edited version of renowned documentary filmmaking team Albert and David Maysles' 1964 16mm documentary What's Happening! The Beatles in the U.S.A., about the Beatles' first visit to America in February 1964. It documents the Beatles' US trip as they travel to New York City, Washington, D.C., and Miami Beach. Footage of the Beatles (often acting irreverently in front of the camera) in hotel rooms makes up the majority of the non-musical portion of the film.
The main difference between the original 1964 documentary and the 1990 re-edited version is that 22 minutes of the Beatles' live recorded performances on The Ed Sullivan Show have been inserted the 1990 release. However, as the 1964 documentary is 81 minutes long and the 1990 version is 83 minutes, some 20 minutes of the 1964 documentary have been excluded, such as several scenes with Brian Epstein.
The original 1964 documentary is still being shown at various festivals, such as the Silverdocs in 2008, and was also shown at a special screening at the Maysles Cinema in New York on 18 November 2011 in honour of Albert Maysles' 85th birthday.
The Ed Sullivan Show (NYC #1)
The Washington Coliseum Concert
The Ed Sullivan Show (Miami)
The Ed Sullivan Show (NYC #2)
In addition to the live performances, there are also studio Beatles recordings heard on the program's soundtrack. Among them are "She Loves You", "I Saw Her Standing There", "Love Me Do", "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "It Won't Be Long". Other recordings featured are "Navy Blue" by Diane Renay and "Pride and Joy" by Marvin Gaye.
- Harrington, Richard (30 January 2004). "A Day In The Life". The Washington Post. p. WE33. Archived from the original on 30 January 2004. Retrieved 22 May 2008.
- "The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit. The official site.". beatles.com. Apple Corps. Retrieved 22 May 2008.
- Retrieved from the film
- IMDb: Duration of "What's Happening! The Beatles in the U.S.A." Retrieved 28 January 2012
- IMDb: Duration of "The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit" Retrieved 28 January 2012
- The Huffington Post 14 July 2007, David Haber: "Mods And Rockers Festival: Really With The Beatles" Retrieved 28 January 2012
- Silverdocs 2008: What's Happening! The Beatles in the U.S.A. Retrieved 28 January 2012
- Egotripland: "A Special Screening of What’s Happening! The Beatles in the USA" Retrieved 28 January 2012