The Beauty Inside (2015 film)
|The Beauty Inside|
|Revised Romanization||Byuti Insaideu|
|Directed by||Baik (Baek Jong-yul)|
|Written by||Kim Sun-jung|
|Based on||The Beauty Inside|
by Drake Doremus
|Produced by||Park Tae-joon|
|Edited by||Yang Jin-mo|
|Music by||Jo Yeong-wook|
|Distributed by||Next Entertainment World|
|Box office||US$13.9 million |
The Beauty Inside (Korean: 뷰티 인사이드; RR: Byuti Insaideu; lit. "Beauty Inside") is a 2015 South Korean romantic comedy film based on the 2012 American social film The Beauty Inside, about a man who wakes up every day in a different body, starring Han Hyo Joo. It is Baik's feature film debut, after a career directing commercials.
One fateful day, on his eighteenth birthday, Woo-jin wakes up to see a face and body that is not his own. He is very shocked and confused, he confronts his mother with his new appearance and she is also shocked but tearfully accepts him for who he is. With the help of his mother (Mun Suk) and his best friend (Song-beck), Woo-jin is able to cope with his strange condition. Ever since this day Woo-jin, now a furniture designer, wakes up in a different body every day, regardless of age, gender and nationality. Sometimes he's a man, a woman, old, young, or even a foreigner. He can even speak different languages, depending on who he is for the day. He's the same person on the inside, but on the outside he's always someone new. Looking at a different face in the mirror every morning is hard for him to get used to.
Every morning Woo-jin records himself on his computer, letting himself know who he was that day. And every morning he has to accustom himself to the changes of being a different person. He has to adjust to his new body, eyesight, voice etc. After many years of changing into different people Woo-jin has devised a system where he has all sorts of clothes and shoes to fit any and every type of body type, and of course different types of toiletries depending on if he is male or female. He also has a phoropter in order to test his vision and a Brannock foot measuring device to measure his feet so that he can choose the right-sized shoes.
As a furniture designer Woo-jin is able to work in the privacy of his own home and avoid others from finding out his secret. He owns a furniture company named ALX that specializes on handcrafted furniture designed for each individual client. His best friend Song-beck works with him, taking care of sales and going to meet Woo-jin's clients in person.
One day, Woo-jin develops a crush on a woman named Yi-soo who works in a furniture store. He begins to visit her everyday to see her and occasionally talk to her but she doesn’t realize this because he comes in as someone else each day. He waits until the right day when he is someone handsome (Park Seo-Joon) to finally approach her and ask her out on a date. He succeeds in asking her out and wants to continue seeing her as the same person. As a result he goes for several days without sleep in order to stay as the same person that first went out with Yi-soo. He inevitably fails to keep the same body due to sleep deprivation and decides to stop contacting Yi-soo because he does not want to reveal his secret to her. However, Yi-soo decides to visit Woo-jin at his home one day and discovers his secret. She is shocked and it takes her some time to comprehend and accept Woo-jin for who he is on the inside.
They remain together and devise a plan to reunite with each other every time Woo-jin transforms. When ever Woo-jin grabs Yi-soo’s hand she’ll know that it’s him. Or at least that's the idea. Yi-soo, after some time starts having difficulty with their relationship. She never truly knows who Woo-jin is and has to fully trust that the stranger grabbing her hand is Woo-jin. People begin to gossip about Yi-soo, saying that she is always going out with different men. This pushes her to a breaking point where she relies on medication to be able to cope with her stress, anxiety, and insomnia. In order to help her, Woo-jin decides to disappear from her life. Time goes by but Yi-soo never stops loving Woo-jin and is determined to find him.
Yi-soo is able to find Woo-jin once again in a different country (the Czech Republic). She confesses to him that she still loves him and wants to spend her life with him. After this confession Woo-jin proposes to Yi-soo and she accepts.
- Han Hyo-joo as Yi-soo
- Yoo Yeon-seok as Woo-jin
- Kim Dae-myung as Woo-jin
- Do Ji-han as Woo-jin
- Bae Sung-woo as Woo-jin
- Chun Young-woon as Woo-jin
- Park Shin-hye as Woo-jin
- Lee Beom-soo as Woo-jin
- Park Seo-joon as Woo-jin
- Kim Sang-ho as Woo-jin
- Chun Woo-hee as Woo-jin
- Juri Ueno as Woo-jin
- Lee Jae-joon as Woo-jin
- Kim Min-jae as Woo-jin
- Lee Hyun-woo as Woo-jin
- Jo Dal-hwan as Woo-jin
- Lee Jin-wook as Woo-jin
- Hong Da-mi as Woo-jin
- Seo Kang-joon as Woo-jin
- Kim Hee-won as Woo-jin
- Lee Dong-wook as Woo-jin
- Go Ah-sung as Woo-jin
- Kim Joo-hyuk as Woo-jin
- Lee Dong-hwi as Sang-baek
- Moon Sook as Woo-jin's mother
- Lee Geung-young as Woo-jin's father
- Lee Mi-do as Hong Eun-soo
- Lee Seung-chan as Woo-jin
- Kwon Gi-ha as Woo-jin
- Choi Yong-min as Yi-soo's father
- Shin Dong-mi as Department head
- Kim Si-eun as Woo-jin's mother in the past
- Kim Rok-kyeong as Woo-jin 52
- Kim Gwang-seop as Woo-jin 86
- Park Keun-rok as Woo-jin 44
- Yoon-hwan as Woo-jin 19
- Kim Yeon-hee as Woo-jin 39
- Son Seong-chan as Woo-jin 77
- Park Min-soo as Woo-jin 80
- Jang Eui-soo as Woo-jin 106
The Beauty Inside pre-sold its distribution rights at the Cannes Film Market to 11 Asian countries, including Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei and the Philippines.
Well Go USA released the film theatrically on September 11, 2015 with a DVD and Blu-ray release set for February 2, 2016.
The Beauty Inside earned a total gross of $14,291,242 USD from 2,057,896 total admissions. There was a total of 646 screenings for the film.
On the website Rotten Tomatoes, the film had an approval rating of 70% based on 10 reviews, with a weighted average of 5.7/10. Another media aggregator website, Metacritic, weighted the film with an average score of 48 out of 100, based on 5 critics. Katie Walsh from the Los Angeles Times writes, “It’s satisfying, charming and surprising - a film that keeps its supernatural elements grounded in reality, with the focus on the spirituality of true love.
Remake and adaptations
Awards and nominations
|2015||Best Actress||Han Hyo-joo||Nominated|
|Best New Director||Baik||Won|
|Best Screenplay||Kim Seon-jeong, Park Jeong-ye||Nominated|
|Best Actress||Han Hyo-joo||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Kim Tae-gyeong||Nominated|
|Best Editing||Yang Jin-mo||Won|
|Best Lighting||Hong Seung-cheol||Nominated|
|Best Music||Jo Yeong-wook||Nominated|
|Top Star Award||Han Hyo-joo||Won|
|Best Actress (Film)||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Juri Ueno||Nominated|
- Tae, Sang-joon (17 October 2014). "An Interview with Syd LIM, CEO of Yong Film, behind PARK Chan-wook's New Film Agassi". Korean Cinema Today. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Lee, Hyo-won (24 August 2015). "South Korea Box Office: Local Actioner Tops for Third Week, Fantastic Four Debuts in Fourth". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Doo, Rumy (4 August 2015). "External beauty in Beauty Inside?". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- Na, Won-jung (5 November 2014). "20 Actors Cast for One Single Lead Character for BEAUTY INSIDE". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- An, So-hyoun (4 November 2014). "Han Hyo Joo to Act Opposite 20 Actors and Actresses in Film Beauty Inside". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Ghim, Sora (22 January 2015). "Beauty Inside Reveals Its List Of Top Actors". BNTNews. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Yoon, Sarah (3 June 2015). "Beauty Inside poster, trailer unveiled". K-pop Herald. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Actresses lead Korean film industry this summer". Yonhap. 29 July 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Hong, Hye-jin (11 June 2015). "Release of Beauty Inside postponed to mid-August". K-pop Herald. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- Conran, Pierce (29 October 2014). "CHUN Woo-hee and LEE Beom-su to Play Same Character in BEAUTY INSIDE". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Jin, Eun-soo (21 August 2015). "Review: Visually pleasing film tackles questions of inner beauty, love". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Kim, Yeon-ji (14 August 2015). "Actress Han stars opposite 21 men". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- Won, Ho-jung (23 August 2015). "Herald Interview: Han Hyo-joo: Beauty Inside is chance of a lifetime". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Yoon, Sarah (26 May 2015). "Film Beauty Inside sells rights to 11 Asian countries". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "The Beauty Inside - Well Go USA Entertainment". Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "The Beauty Inside (2015)". KOFIC. Korean Film Council. Retrieved November 12, 2018.
- "The Beauty Inside (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- "The Beauty Inside reviews". Metacritic. CBC Interactive. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (January 27, 2017). "Fox 2000 Wins $2M Pitch Deal For 'The Beauty Inside'; 'GoT's Emilia Clarke To Star". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- Park Jin-young (July 9, 2018). "[공식입장] 서현진X이민기, '뷰티인사이드' 출연 확정..로코 치트키 특급만남". Osen (in Korean).
Beauty Inside - English==at Dramaice==