The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born (album)
|The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||May - June 1991|
|Producer||Dr. George Butler (executive producer); Delfeayo Marsalis|
|Branford Marsalis chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born is a jazz album by Branford Marsalis, leading a trio with Jeff "Tain" Watts and Robert Hurst and with guest appearances from Wynton Marsalis and Courtney Pine. It was recorded May 16–18, 1991, at CTS Studio A, Wembley, England, and June 24, 1991, at RCA Studio B in New York, New York. It peaked at number 3 on the Top Jazz Albums chart.
Calling it "one of Branford Marsalis' strongest of the 1990s", Scott Yanow notes in his AllMusic review: "His playing is often reminiscent in style (but not really sound) of John Coltrane, he is more concise and disciplined than in some of his early-'90s concert appearances and [h3] is at his most explorative on this inventive blowing session." Other reviewers concurred. People Magazine called Marsalis's tone "rich and round… his phrasing and rhythm beautifully fluid." Entertainment Weekly gave a slightly more nuanced review, calling the recording "a very long and uncompromising trio recital in which Marsalis [demonstrates] his own stunning command of tenor and soprano sax. Indeed, if anything the album is too pure: The strain of improvising with only the spartan sound of bass and drums for support ultimately gets wearying…"
All tracks are written by Branford Marsalis, except where indicated.
|1.||"Roused About"||Robert Hurst||8:08|
|2.||"The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born"||13:42|
|4.||"Cain & Abel"||7:34|
|8.||"Beat's Remark"||Robert Hurst||12:47|
- Branford Marsalis - saxophones
- Jeff "Tain" Watts - drums
- Robert Hurst - bass
- Wynton Marsalis - trumpet on "Cain & Abel"
- Courtney Pine - tenor saxophone on "Dewey Baby"
- AllMusic Review
- Giddings, Gary (1992-01-17). "The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2014-10-08.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 947. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- "The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born". Branford Marsalis.com. Archived from the original on 2014-09-13. Retrieved 2014-10-08.
- Allmusic Guide
- Yanow, Scott. Allmusic Review, accessed October 8, 2014.
- "Picks and Pans Review: The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born". People. 1991-11-25. Retrieved 2014-10-08.
- BranfordMarsalis.com