The Beddow Schools
The Beddow Schools is a private school in Maryland serving elementary school through high school with campuses in Prince George's and Charles counties: a secondary school in the Accokeek census-designated place and primary schools in the Fort Washington and Waldorf CDPs.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2018)
The school system was founded by Trudy Beddow, who was previously a history teacher in a school near Silver Spring that was a part of the Montgomery County Public Schools system. She dismissed from her position by the principal in 1966; Beddow stated that she disliked the school's conservative atmosphere. After working as an assistant producer on the show It's Academic, she decided to start the school circa 1974, initially holding it in the family room of her house.
As of 2004[update] the secondary school relies on administrators to provide counseling to students in regards to their post-high school university, college, or career choices, as the secondary division is, as stated by David Anderson of The Gazette, "tiny".
|Campuses in Maryland|
The three campuses are: Fort Washington Montessori School in Fort Washington census-designated place, Waldorf Montessori School in Waldorf CDP, and Accokeek College Preparatory School in Accokeek CDP.
The Accokeek campus has 7 acres (2.8 ha) of land. Originally the students did physical education in the school's driveway or at a nearby park. The first gymnasium for the property, with a cost of $1.2 million, was due to break ground around 2008.
- Garner, Joshua (2009-09-10). "Three schools, 35 years and counting". The Gazette. Retrieved 2018-09-16. - Also as: "35 years, three schools and still counting" and "Accokeek woman turns passion into lifelong dream"
- McKeever, Megan (2008-09-18). "Private school ready to build first gym". The Gazette. Retrieved 2018-09-16.
- "Principal guides students toward college choices". The Gazette. 2004-10-14. Retrieved 2018-09-16.
- Home. The Beddow Schools. Retrieved on September 8, 2018. "Fort Washington Montessori School 8600 Loughran Road Fort Washington, MD 20744" and "Waldorf Montessori School 6008 Hampshire Circle Waldorf, MD 20603" and "Accokeek College Preparatory School 501 Bryan Point Road Accokeek, MD 20607"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Fort Washington CDP, MD." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 2, 2018. Note that the CDP previously covered a different set of territory: "CENSUS 2000 BLOCK MAP: FORT WASHINGTON CDP" with pages 1 and 2. In the 1990 U.S. Census Bureau maps of Prince George's County, Maryland (index map) Fort Washington CDP is on pages 26, 27, 32, and 33.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Waldorf CDP, MD." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 9, 2018. The portion containing the school is on page 6.
- "College Preparatory." The Beddow Schools. Retrieved on September 9, 2018.
- Home. The Beddow School. May 26, 2000. Retrieved on September 9, 2018. "The Beddow Montessori School 6008 Hampshire Circle Waldorf, Maryland 20603"
- "CENSUS 2000 BLOCK MAP: ST. CHARLES CDP." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 9, 2018. The school's land is on page 1. The 1990 Census Map for Charles County (index map) has St. Charles on page 6.
|This Maryland school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|