The Best Horror of the Year: Volume One
|Author||Edited by Ellen Datlow|
|Series||The Best Horror of the Year|
|Publisher||Night Shade Books|
|January 1, 2009|
|Media type||Print (Paperback), eBook|
|ISBN||978-1-59780-161-4 (TP) &
|Followed by||The Best Horror of the Year: Volume Two|
The Best Horror of the Year: Volume One (ISBN 978-1-59780-161-4) is a horror fiction anthology edited by Ellen Datlow that was published on January 1, 2009. It is the first in The Best Horror of the Year series.
The book includes 21 stories, all first published in 2008. The book also includes a summation by Datlow, and a list of honorable mentions for the year. The stories are as follows:
- E. Michael Lewis: "Cargo"
- Richard Bowes: "If Angels Fight"
- Steve Duffy: "The Clay Party"
- William Browning Spencer: "Penguins of the Apocalypse"
- Glen Hirshberg: "Esmeralda"
- Trent Hergenrader: "The Hodag"
- Nicholas Royle: "Very Low-Flying Aircraft"
- Margaret Ronald: "When the Gentlemen Go By"
- Laird Barron: "The Lagerstätte"
- Euan Harvey: "Harry and the Monkey"
- Miranda Siemienowicz: "Dress Circle"
- Daniel Kaysen: "The Rising River"
- JoSelle Vanderhooft: "Sweeney Among the Straight Razors"
- R.B. Russell: "Loup-garou"
- Graham Edwards: "Girl in Pieces"
- Joe R. Lansdale: "It Washed Up"
- Mike Allen: "The Thirteenth Hell"
- Margo Lanagan: "The Goosle"
- Daniel LeMoal: "Beach Head"
- Adam Golaski: "The Man from the Peak"
- Simon Bestwick: "The Narrows"
- 2009, United States, Night Shade Books ISBN 978-1-59780-161-4, Pub date January 1, 2009, Trade paperback 
- 2009, United States, Night Shade Books ISBN 978-1-59780-241-3, Pub date January 1, 2009, e-book