The Best of Kylie Minogue
|The Best of Kylie Minogue|
|Greatest hits album by Kylie Minogue|
|Released||28 May 2012|
|Kylie Minogue chronology|
The Best of Kylie Minogue is the third major greatest hits album by Australian recording artist Kylie Minogue. It was released on 28 May 2012 by EMI to commemorate the twenty-fifth anniversary of Minogue's recording career, as part of her K25 celebrations. This is Minogue's fourth major compilation album, following the previous major compilation albums Greatest Hits (1992), Hits+ (2002) and Ultimate Kylie (2004). It is also Minogue's only major compilation not to include any new material or to include unreleased and rare material. The album consists of Minogue's major hits, spanning from her 1987 debut to her 2010 album project Aphrodite.
Upon its release, the compilation was well received by most music critics, many praising the later releases of Minogue's catalog, while it was criticized for not including most of her hit songs from the past. It peaked at number eleven in the United Kingdom, while charting inside the top forty in the Czech Republic, Ireland, Scotland and Spain.
The Best of Kylie Minogue is the first major greatest hits album by Minogue since her 2004 Ultimate Kylie album. During 2012, Minogue had celebrated her twenty-fifth anniversary of her record career, which was dubbed "K25 Celebration". Each month, Minogue would present a special gift to her fans to thank them for their support during her 25-year recording career. She would ask fans every month to "tweet to unlock" the special gift, and she would regularly receive more than 25,000 tweets. To celebreate the first month of K25, Minogue released an orchestral version of her single "Finer Feelings" and embarked on the Anti Tour, which featured b-sides, demos and rarities from her music catalogue.
According to a press release, the songs selected for The Best of Kylie Minogue were chosen by "fans through extensive market research conducted by EMI late last year." The cover art of The Best of Kylie Minogue contains badges of the singles. It also has pictures from two music videos; "Spinning Around" and "Confide in Me". The back cover featured logos of the hits. In the booklet, the cover of the singles are included. An alternate cover was made for a deluxe edition for iTunes. The same picture with a pink border and text.
The Best of Kylie Minogue was one of four musical releases within her K25 celebration. The first being her CD Single release of "Timebomb", the second being this release, the third being her orchestral compilation album The Abbey Road Sessions and her final being her K25: Time Capsule box set.
Material and release
Unlike her previous compilation album Ultimate Kylie, this compilation does not feature a bonus disc of more songs to commemorate her back catalog. The album only consists of randomly ordered tracks from Minogues twenty-five years in the music industry. Two songs from her debut album was featured on the album; "I Should Be So Lucky" and "The Loco-Motion". Two songs from her second album were features, these being "Tears on My Pillow" and "Never Too Late". One song from her third studio album was "Better the Devil You Know", one song from her fourth album was "Give Me Just a Little More Time" and one from her fifth studio album was "Confide in Me".
In her 2000's era, three songs from her seventh album were featured, these being "Spinning Around", "On a Night Like This" and "Kids". Her eighth studio album featured all her singles except "Come into My World", her ninth album included all singles but "Chocolate", her tenth studio album included both "Wow" and "In My Arms" and two from her eleventh album were "All the Lovers" and "Get Outta My Way". It is worth noting that tracks from her sixth studio album Impossible Princess were not featured on the compilation album. It was intended that "Timebomb", a K25 surprise and released a few days apart from the album, was supposed to be released on the compilation. However, this idea was scrapped. It did, however featured on her K25: Time Capsule set released in October.
The album was released on June 4 in Europe and the United Kingdom, while it was released in the United States on June 19. To promote the album and single "Timebomb", Minogue traveled to the United States appearing on Good Morning America. After the promotion in North America, "Timebomb" debuted at number thirty-one on the US Hot Dance Club Songs. In its fourth week, it rose to number four, becoming Minogue's ninth top ten single on that chart. It was also labeled that week's "Greatest Gainer". The week of 4 August 2012, "Timebomb" became Minogue's ninth overall number one on the dance chart and her sixth consecutive number one.
On June 27, 2014, two years after its annual release, The Best of Kylie Minogue was released in Australia and New Zealand digitally and physically.
The Best of Kylie Minogue received generally positive reviews from most contemporary music critics. The Best of Kylie Minogue received a score of 75/100 on Metacritic, indicating "Generally favorable reviews". Barry Walters of Rolling Stone gave the compilation four out of five stars, writing that it "plays like a crash course in the history of international club style—from the aerobic corn of her fluke 1988 hit 'The Loco-Motion' to 2010's feistier French house-inspired 'Get Outta My Way.'" AllMusic's Tim Sendra gave it four-and-a-half out of five stars and concluded, "This collection is proof that Kylie is arguably the best pop singer of her era and more importantly, is fun from beginning to end." OK! magazine called the compilation "[a]mazing" and stated that "Kylie collects together some of her finest moments."
However, Robbie Daw of Idolator commented that "while we were hoping for something more along the lines of a box set compiling her complete singles discography (sigh), we'll have to settle for the 21-track The Best Of Kylie Minogue". Q gave it a favorable review, but said "Part cipher, part siren, Minogue's odd power is underlined: it's not always clear quite what she does, but she does it brilliantly." PopMatters also gave it a favourable review. However, they said "If there were crimes committed against pop many moons ago, there is redemptive evidence on The Best of Kylie Minogue to warrant her a full reprieve 'n' pardon and perhaps even freedom of the city." They later concluded with a mixed reaction saying, "Misleading title, dopey sequencing and occasional 'Just crap'-ness aside, The Best of still offers much masterclass in perfect pop."
The Best of Kylie Minogue debuted at number eleven on the UK Albums Chart, selling 9,703 copies in its first week. However, in its third week, the album descended out of the top forty to number forty-seven. It then descended to number ninety-seven for its last week, staying there for four weeks in total. The compilation managed to peak inside the top forty in countries including Scotland, Ireland, Czech Republic and Spain. In the U.S., the compilation debuted at number thirteen on the U.S. Dance/Electronic Albums. However, in its second week, the compilation descended to number twenty-three and fell out the next week.
|1.||"Can't Get You Out of My Head"||Fever||3:49|
|2.||"Spinning Around"||Light Years||3:27|
|3.||"I Should Be So Lucky"||Kylie||3:24|
|4.||"Love at First Sight"||Fever||3:57|
|5.||"In Your Eyes"||
|6.||"Kids" (with Robbie Williams)||
|7.||"Better the Devil You Know"||
||Rhythm of Love||3:54|
|8.||"All the Lovers"||Aphrodite||3:20|
|9.||"Give Me Just a Little More Time"||
||Let's Get to It||3:06|
|12.||"Red Blooded Woman"||
|13.||"I Believe in You"||Ultimate Kylie||3:19|
|14.||"On a Night Like This"||Light Years||3:31|
|15.||"Confide in Me"||Kylie Minogue||4:26|
|16.||"Get Outta My Way"||Aphrodite||3:39|
|17.||"The Loco-Motion" (7" Mix)||Kylie||3:13|
|18.||"Tears on My Pillow"||
|20.||"In My Arms"||
|21.||"Never Too Late"||
|Japanese bonus track|
|22.||"Better than Today"||Aphrodite||3:25|
|Special edition bonus DVD (music videos)|
|1.||"Can't Get You Out of My Head"||Dawn Shadforth||3:47|
|2.||"Spinning Around"||Dawn Shadforth||3:27|
|3.||"I Should Be So Lucky"||Chris Langman||3:24|
|4.||"Love at First Sight"||Johan Renck||3:56|
|5.||"In Your Eyes"||Dawn Shadforth||3:17|
|6.||"Kids" (with Robbie Williams)||Simon Hilton||4:46|
|7.||"Better the Devil You Know"||Paul Goldman||3:57|
|8.||"All the Lovers"||Joseph Kahn||3:19|
|9.||"Give Me Just a Little More Time"||Greg Masuak||3:04|
|12.||"Red Blooded Woman"||Jake Nava||4:08|
|13.||"I Believe in You"||Vernie Yeung||3:24|
|14.||"On a Night Like This"||Douglas Avery||4:06|
|15.||"Confide in Me"||Paul Boyd||5:56|
|16.||"Get Outta My Way"||AlexandLiane||3:41|
|17.||"The Loco-Motion"||Chris Langman||3:16|
|18.||"Tears on My Pillow"||Pete Cornish||2:28|
|20.||"In My Arms"||Melina Matsoukas||3:30|
|21.||"Better than Today" (Japanese bonus video)||William Baker||3:26|
|22.||"Never Too Late"||Pete Cornish||3:22|
|Argentine Albums (CAPIF)||2|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)||45|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)||58|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||66|
|Czech Albums (ČNS IFPI)||22|
|French Albums (SNEP)||69|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||85|
|Irish Albums (IRMA)||22|
|Italian Albums (FIMI)||49|
|Japanese Albums (Oricon)||76|
|Mexican Albums (Top 100 Mexico)||44|
|Scottish Albums (OCC)||10|
|Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)||26|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||63|
|UK Albums (OCC)||11|
|US Top Dance/Electronic Albums (Billboard)||13|
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||39|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Italy||28 May 2012||EMI|||
|France||30 May 2012||
|Germany||1 June 2012||
|France||4 June 2012||Digital download|||
|19 June 2012||CD+DVD|||
||Warner Music Australasia|||
|27 June 2014||Digital download|||
- K25 Timeline.
- "Kylie Anti Tour Shows Announced | Kylie Minogue". Kylie.com. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- Caulfield, Keith (4 May 2012). "New Kylie Minogue Greatest Hits Album Due in June". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- Sendra, Tim. "The Best of Kylie Minogue – Kylie Minogue". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Walters, Barry (19 June 2012). "The Best of Kylie Minogue". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Kylie: The Best Of Kylie Minogue". OK!. Northern & Shell. 12 June 2012. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Daw, Robbie (4 May 2012). "'Kylie Minogue' Best Of Collection Features Scattered Hits But Nothing New". Idolator. Buzz Media. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- Jones, Alan (11 June 2012). "Official Charts Analysis: Gary Barlow tops Album and Singles lists". Music Week. Intent Media. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue". Argentine Albums. CAPIF. On Fecha, select 03/06/2012 to see the correspondent chart. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Ultratop.be – Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- "Ultratop.be – Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue" (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Top 100 Albums in Canada". 6 June 2012. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Czech Albums – Top 100". ČNS IFPI. Note: On the chart page, select 201223 on the field besides the word "Zobrazit", and then click over the word to retrieve the correct chart data. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Lescharts.com – Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Officialcharts.de – Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "GFK Chart-Track Albums: Week 23, 2012". Chart-Track. IRMA. Retrieved 8 June 2012 2012.
- "Artisti: Classifica settimanale dal Classifica settimanale dal 04/06/2012 al 10/06/2012". Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "カイリー・ミノーグのアルバム売り上げランキング". ORICON STYLE. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue". Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Archived from the original on 2 July 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Official Scottish Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue". Hung Medien. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Swisscharts.com – Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue". Hung Medien. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Kylie Minogue – Chart history" Billboard Dance/Electronic Albums for Kylie Minogue. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "Australiancharts.com – Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue". Hung Medien. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "British album certifications – Kylie Minogue – The Best of Kylie Minogue". British Phonographic Industry. Enter The Best of Kylie Minogue in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search