The Best of The Guess Who
|The Best of The Guess Who|
|Compilation album by|
|The Guess Who chronology|
|Christgau's Record Guide||B+|
The Best of The Guess Who is the fourth compilation album by the Canadian group The Guess Who. It was originally released by RCA Records in April 1971 and contains recordings made between 1968 and 1970. The album reached number 12 on the Billboard top LPs chart in the United States.
A follow up, The Best of The Guess Who Volume II, was released in 1973.
Some of the songs on this album are edited single versions. The single version of "American Woman" is missing an introduction. The single version of "Hang On to Your Life" does not include the spoken excerpt from Psalm 22 at the end (though it is the album version that appears on this album).
The first CD issue in 1988 by RCA replaced the single version of American Woman with the album version. A reissue by Legacy Recordings in 2006 added three bonus tracks and had the single version restored.
In 2014 the album was released in the Super Audio CD format by Audio Fidelity. This version contains the complete stereo and quad versions on one disc. The stereo version includes the full album version of American Woman, but the quad version has the edited recording. "Hang on to Your Life" includes the Psalm 22 ending in stereo and in quad. 
Gary Hill of AllMusic says "It is sometimes hard to believe that the same group that brought the world the jazzy 'Undun' and the CS&N-ish hippie anthem 'Share the Land' is also responsible for the rocking 'No Time.' This 11-track collection paints a very entertaining picture of a mutli-talented band and is a perfect introduction for the casual fan."
|6.||"No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature"||4:52|
|7.||"Hand Me Down World"||Kurt Winter||3:26|
|9.||"Share the Land"||Cummings||3:53|
|10.||"Do You Miss Me Darlin'?"||3:55|
|11.||"Hang On to Your Life"||4:08|
- The original 1990 CD issue contains a misprint of the running time for "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature" as 7:51.
- The Guess Who
on tracks 1-6
- Burton Cummings – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, keyboards, flute, harmonica
- Randy Bachman – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Jim Kale – bass, backing vocals
- Garry Peterson – drums, backing vocals
on tracks 7-11 + bonus tracks
- Burton Cummings - lead vocals, keyboards
- Kurt Winter - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Greg Leskiw - rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Jim Kale - bass, backing vocals
- Garry Peterson - drums, backing vocals
- Additional personnel
- Arranger: The Guess Who (Tracks 4-11)
- Engineer: David Greene and Elliot Scheiner (Tracks 1-3), Randy Kling (Tracks 4-6), Brian Christian (Tracks 4-5)
- Producer: Jack Richardson
- The Best of The Guess Who at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: G". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved February 24, 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- The Guess Who, The Best of The Guess Who Retrieved March 20, 2015
- The Best of The Guess Who SACD, Hybrid, Multichannel, Quadraphonic, Compilation Retrieved February 7, 2019
- The Best of The Guess Who Reel-To-Reel, Compilation, Quadraphonic, 7 ½ ips Retrieved February 7, 2019
- "The Best Of The Guess Who - Notes on 1990 CD". Discogs.
- The Guess Who, The Best of The Guess Who Credits Retrieved March 20, 2015