The Big Bang Theory (season 12)
|The Big Bang Theory (season 12)|
Digital cover art
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Original release||September 24, 2018– present|
The twelfth and final season of the American television sitcom The Big Bang Theory premiered on CBS on September 24, 2018. The series returned to its regular Thursday time slot on September 27, 2018.
In March 2017, CBS renewed the series for two additional seasons, bringing its total to twelve, and running through the 2018–19 television season. On August 22, 2018, CBS and Warner Bros. Television officially announced that the twelfth season would be the series' last. This stems from Jim Parsons' decision to leave the series at the end of the season if the show were to be renewed for a thirteenth season.
- Johnny Galecki as Dr. Leonard Hofstadter
- Jim Parsons as Dr. Sheldon Cooper
- Kaley Cuoco as Penny
- Simon Helberg as Howard Wolowitz
- Kunal Nayyar as Dr. Rajesh "Raj" Koothrappali
- Mayim Bialik as Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler
- Melissa Rauch as Dr. Bernadette Rostenkowski-Wolowitz
- Kevin Sussman as Stuart Bloom
- Brian Posehn as Dr. Bertram “Bert” Kibbler
- Brian George as Dr. V.M. Koothrappali
- Lauren Lapkus as Denise
- Keith Carradine as Wyatt
- Rati Gupta as Anu
- Bob Newhart as Dr. Arthur Jeffries/Professor Proton
- Joshua Malina as President Siebert
- John Ross Bowie as Dr. Barry Kripke
- Brian Thomas Smith as Zack Johnson
- Lindsey Kraft as Marissa Johnson
- Christine Baranski as Beverly Hofstadter
- Neil deGrasse Tyson as himself
- Teller as Larry Fowler
- Kathy Bates as Mrs. Fowler
- Bill Nye as himself
- Jerry O'Connell as George Cooper Jr.
- Montana Jordan as Young George
- Robert Wu as Tam Nguyen
- Maribeth Monroe as Dr. Lee
- Iain Armitage as Young Sheldon
- Lance Barber as George Cooper Sr.
- Kal Penn as Dr. Campbell
- Sean Astin as Dr. Pemberton
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|256||1||"The Conjugal Configuration"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Chuck Lorre & Eric Kaplan & Tara Hernandez |
Teleplay by : Steve Holland & Maria Ferrari & Jeremy Howe
|September 24, 2018||T12.16001||12.92|
Sheldon and Amy go on their honeymoon to New York City, starting with Legoland New York. Sheldon's insistence on scheduling their marital relations stresses Amy. He says he only does it to remind himself to be intimate with her. They compromise by letting him make a schedule without sharing it with her. Leonard and Penny discover Mr. Larry Fowler (Teller) in Sheldon and Amy's apartment hiding from his wife (Kathy Bates). Leonard notices parallels in his own marriage, which offends Penny. Leonard apologizes, and Penny convinces Mrs. Fowler to give her husband a break. When Mrs. Fowler wants to hang out with her regularly, Penny scares Larry out of the building. Raj instigates a Twitter feud with Neil deGrasse Tyson but is scared off when confronted over the phone. Neil then calls Bill Nye.
Title reference: Sheldon attempting to schedule his and Amy's conjugal relations.
|257||2||"The Wedding Gift Wormhole"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Steve Holland & Steven Molaro & Maria Ferrari |
Teleplay by : Dave Goetsch & Eric Kaplan & Andy Gordon
|September 27, 2018||T12.16002||12.04|
While opening their wedding gifts, Sheldon and Amy cannot figure out the purpose of the glass shard Leonard and Penny gave them. They decide it must be a clue to a scavenger hunt to the real gift. They eventually end up in the coffee shop where they first met and find a locket in the lost and found that they think must be the real gift. The glass shard was actually a crystal chakra wand that Raj gave as a gift to Howard and Bernadette, who then re-gifted it to Leonard and Penny, who finally passed it on as a joke. Leonard and Penny find it less funny when they are given a coded thank-you note they have to use to unlock their WiFi. Stuart is still seeing his employee Denise; while preparing for a date with her, he has a spray-tan accident, but she just finds it funny and still goes out with him. Raj is depressed everyone else has a relationship and asks his father to arrange a marriage.
Title reference: Sheldon and Amy's journey to figure out the meaning of the wedding gift.
|258||3||"The Procreation Calculation"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Chuck Lorre & Tara Hernandez & Adam Faberman |
Teleplay by : Steve Holland & Maria Ferrari & Anthony Del Broccolo
|October 4, 2018||T12.16003||12.29|
Raj meets with the woman his father set up for him, Anu. Her commanding personality and practical approach to marriage startle Raj but he agrees to go ahead with it. Howard criticizes him but apologizes; he just never expected Raj to give up on romance. Raj admits this to Anu so she proposes to him, and he says yes. Raj also sends out a relationship questionnaire to Leonard and Penny, which soon reveals that Penny doesn't think she ever wants kids, upsetting Leonard, who would like to have kids someday, and their friends selfishly badger them on the issue. After telling her father Wyatt who is also upset, Leonard tells Penny that he'll be okay with it, as he never thought he'd have her in his life. To get his mind off of it, Penny rents Leonard a Batmobile to drive in and have fun with for the day. Meanwhile, Stuart starts bringing home Denise at night, which is very uncomfortable for Howard and Bernadette. When they also try to have time to themselves, they wake up their kids.
Title reference: Leonard and Penny trying to decide if they want to have children.
|259||4||"The Tam Turbulence"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Steve Holland & Steven Molaro & Maria Ferrari |
Teleplay by : Dave Goetsch & Eric Kaplan & Jeremy Howe
|October 11, 2018||T12.16004||12.94|
Sheldon's childhood friend from Texas, Tam, is visiting the university with his son. Sheldon doesn't want to see him and the others wonder why Sheldon has never mentioned Tam. Tam isn't even aware Sheldon is angry with him, thinking they just naturally drifted apart. Sheldon's brother George doesn't know the reason either. Sheldon eventually reveals Tam promised he would move to California with Sheldon, but then got a girlfriend and stayed with her, leaving Sheldon feeling abandoned. Tam and Sheldon make up and Sheldon has Leonard take Tam to the airport. Meanwhile, Penny and Bernadette want to get to know Anu, impressed by her connections in the hotel industry. They tell her embarrassing things about Raj and wonder if they can go out with her again after Raj confronts them.
Title reference: The anxiety caused by Tam's reappearance in Sheldon's life after 20 years of separation.
|260||5||"The Planetarium Collision"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Eric Kaplan & Andy Gordon & Alex Ayers |
Teleplay by : Steve Holland & Maria Ferrari & Tara Hernandez
|October 18, 2018||T12.16005||12.22|
Sheldon is annoyed that Amy doesn't have time to work on the super-asymmetry project with him so he talks President Siebert into getting her removed from her own project at the university. Amy is angry at both of them as she wants to still have her own identity outside the marriage. When confronted by Amy, Siebert apologizes to her but states that it will be difficult for the university to give her her project back. After talking with Arthur Jeffries in a dream, Sheldon apologizes to Amy and both of them talk about their fears in their marriage. Meanwhile, Raj doesn't want to have Howard join him in his show at the planetarium, thinking he'd just use his astronaut status to make it about himself. Raj eventually lets him join in and Raj and Howard spend the whole time complimenting each other, surprising Bernadette, Leonard and Penny.
Title reference: Howard colliding with Raj's job at the planetarium.
|261||6||"The Imitation Perturbation"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Steve Holland & Maria Ferrari & Tara Hernandez |
Teleplay by : Eric Kaplan & Jeremy Howe & Adam Faberman
|October 25, 2018||T12.16006||12.99|
Howard dresses as Sheldon for Halloween at work, hurting Sheldon's feelings. When Howard doesn't apologize, Amy and Sheldon dress as Bernadette and Howard at Penny and Leonard's party, angering Bernadette. Sheldon and Bernadette later bond over their painful childhood memories. Leonard is upset that Penny doesn't seem to remember that their first kiss was on Halloween. Penny later admits she does remember, but doesn't like to think of their first kiss as an unromantic drunken hookup. She likes to imagine their first kiss was one they shared on Leonard's birthday, which pleases him.
Title reference: Howard dressing as Sheldon for Halloween, and in response, Sheldon and Amy dressed up as Howard and Bernadette.
|262||7||"The Grant Allocation Derivation"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Eric Kaplan & Anthony Del Broccolo & Alex Yonks |
Teleplay by : Steve Holland & Dave Goetsch & Maria Ferrari
|November 1, 2018||T12.16007||12.64|
President Siebert charges Leonard with distributing some extra university funds in the form of a grant. Everyone begins sucking up to Leonard. Penny is impressed by Leonard's decisiveness but unimpressed when he can't decide between Raj, Kripke and Dr. Lee (Maribeth Monroe), an ornithologist who works with crows. Leonard, realizing that people will be angry with him no matter who he gives the funds to, eventually awards the money to himself; many crows swarm his car afterwards. Meanwhile, Bernadette starts hiding in Haley's playhouse after work so she can have time to herself. She's eventually joined by Penny and Amy. Howard reveals to Raj that he actually knows that Bernadette has been hiding out, but never said anything so he can use it as ammunition next time he screws up.
Title reference: Leonard choosing a grant recipient.
|263||8||"The Consummation Deviation"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Chuck Lorre & Steve Holland & Maria Ferrari |
Teleplay by : Eric Kaplan & Andy Gordon & Adam Faberman
|November 8, 2018||T12.16008||12.85|
Anu wants to have sex with Raj, but he gets so nervous in the leadup, that his selective mutism returns. Confessing to her, she is very understanding, revealing an unusual secret of her own. The next morning, he is able to have sex with her in the shower. Sheldon attempts to bond with his father-in-law, but Larry is more impressed with Howard's magic tricks, causing a jealous Sheldon to spend time with Mrs. Fowler. They bond after finding out Amy has been using Sheldon as an excuse to avoid her mother, though he does gently advise her to forgive her daughter like he would his wife. A remorseful Amy invites the Fowlers over for thanksgiving, where Sheldon and Mrs. Fowler continue to bond over Larry's ineptitude with magic.
Title reference: Raj unable to sleep with Anu.
|264||9||"The Citation Negation"||Kristy Cecil||Story by : Eric Kaplan & Tara Hernandez & Jeremy Howe |
Teleplay by : Steve Holland & Dave Goetsch & Maria Ferrari
|November 15, 2018||T12.16009||12.56|
Sheldon and Amy recruit Leonard to research and write citations for their paper on super asymmetry. While working in the campus library, Leonard and Raj discover a Russian paper that asserts that super asymmetry has no merit. Reluctantly, Leonard shares the news with Sheldon and Amy, who fall into a depressive state and do not leave their apartment. Meanwhile, Bernadette asks Denise to teach her how to play Fortnite: Battle Royale so that she can beat Howard. Despite losing to Howard in a rematch after all of her training, Bernadette revels in beating a disinterested Penny.
Title reference: The Russian paper that disproves Sheldon and Amy's theory.Note: The vanity card at the end of the episode paid tribute to the late Stan Lee, who passed away on November 12, 2018.
|265||10||"The VCR Illumination"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Steve Holland & Steven Molaro & Bill Prady |
Teleplay by : Maria Ferrari & Andy Gordon & Jeremy Howe
|December 6, 2018||T12.16010||12.52|
Sheldon is still despondent over the disproving of his and Amy's theory on asymmetry. Leonard brings out a VHS tape of a pep talk that Sheldon recorded as a boy, but it turns out that his father had recorded a long-ago football game over it. Sheldon, however, is buoyed by a halftime pep talk his father gave the team, realizing he and his father had more in common than he previously thought. This causes Amy to view asymmetry and symmetry in another manner and they decide their theory may not be dead after all. Bernadette finds an old tape of Howard preparing to audition for The Magic Castle. She insists he fulfill his dream and audition with her as a coach, drawing on her beauty pageant experience. Howard eventually decides to audition his own way, and promptly botches his chances by accidentally destroying a judge's Rolex.
Title reference: Old VHS tapes surfacing from Sheldon's and Howard's past.
|266||11||"The Paintball Scattering"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Maria Ferrari & Tara Hernandez & Adam Faberman |
Teleplay by : Steve Holland & Eric Kaplan & Anthony Del Broccolo
|January 3, 2019||T12.16011||12.80|
Sheldon and Amy's paper is a huge success, but Sheldon is upset when he isn't allowed to do interviews, and Amy gets all the attention. Denise asks Stuart to move in with her but he panics and flees. Raj sets up a doorbell camera app for Anu but sees her greet her ex-boyfriend. At a paintball match, all the feuding couples argue; with Raj saying he cannot trust Anu since he doesn't even know her, throwing the wedding into question. Stuart makes up with Denise by giving her a key to his (Howard and Bernadette's) house. Sheldon tries to do one interview but leaves when he doesn't like a question.
Title reference: The paintball match between everyone, which exposes the problems between the couples.
|267||12||"The Propagation Proposition"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Chuck Lorre & Steve Holland & Jeremy Howe |
Teleplay by : Maria Ferrari & Dave Goetsch & Eric Kaplan
|January 10, 2019||T12.16012||13.53|
Penny runs into her ex-boyfriend Zack, who has gotten rich from selling his company and married a similarly dim-witted woman named Marissa. Meeting with Leonard and Penny, they say Zack is infertile and ask to pay Leonard as a sperm donor so they can have a baby. Leonard is flattered, but Penny finds it creepy. Leonard says that since Penny decided she didn't want to have children, he should be allowed to help another couple with this issue. Sheldon advises him to think about the emotional toll this could have on him. Leonard says he won't do it if Penny objects; Penny says she'll support whatever decision Leonard makes. Meanwhile, Raj tries to get Anu back but she points out he just wanted to be married like his friends. Raj points out that Anu is similarly looking for a quick marriage. He admits to Anu that he really likes her and they decide to start their relationship as just dating.
Title reference: Zack and Marissa asking Leonard to father their child.
|268||13||"The Confirmation Polarization"||Mark Cendrowski||Story by : Eric Kaplan & Andy Gordon & Anthony Del Broccolo |
Teleplay by : Steve Holland & Maria Ferrari & Tara Hernandez
|January 17, 2019||T12.16013||TBD|
|1||"The Conjugal Configuration"||September 24, 2018||2.5/11||12.92||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|2||"The Wedding Gift Wormhole"||September 27, 2018||2.2/10||12.04||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|3||"The Procreation Calculation"||October 4, 2018||2.2/10||12.29||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|4||"The Tam Turbulence"||October 11, 2018||2.3/10||12.94||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|5||"The Planetarium Collision"||October 18, 2018||2.1/9||12.22||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|6||"The Imitation Perturbation"||October 25, 2018||2.3/10||12.99||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|7||"The Grant Allocation Derivation"||November 1, 2018||2.1/10||12.64||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|8||"The Consummation Deviation"||November 8, 2018||2.3/10||12.85||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|9||"The Citation Negation"||November 15, 2018||2.3/10||12.56||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|10||"The VCR Illumination"||December 6, 2018||2.1/10||12.52||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|11||"The Paintball Scattering"||January 3, 2019||2.2/10||12.80||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|12||"The Propagation Proposition"||January 10, 2019||2.4/11||13.53||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
- Goldberg, Lesley (August 22, 2018). "'Big Bang Theory' to End With Season 12". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 9, 2018). "CBS Fall 2018 Premiere Dates: 'Big Bang' & 'Young Sheldon' To Help Launch 'Magnum PI' & 'Murphy Brown' Revival". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (March 20, 2017). "'Big Bang Theory' Officially Renewed for Two Seasons as Mayim Bialik, Melissa Rauch Await Deals". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Hibberd, James (July 9, 2018). "The Big Bang Theory to end in 2019 with final season". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 23, 2018). ""The Big Bang Theory": Behind The Sudden Decision To End Series After 12 Seasons". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "(#T12.16012) "The Propagation Proposition"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 13, 2019.
- "'The Big Bang Theory' Will Meet 'Young Sheldon' in Time-Jumping Crossover". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- "Big Bang Theory: Kal Penn, Sean Astin, Cast in Final Season". TVLine.com. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- Welch, Alex (September 25, 2018). "'The Big Bang Theory' adjusts up, 'The Good Doctor' adjusts down: Monday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 25, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (September 28, 2018). "'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Big Bang Theory,' and 'Thursday Night Football' adjust up: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (October 5, 2018). "'Thursday Night Football' adjusts up: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (October 12, 2018). "'Big Bang Theory' and 'Thursday Night Football' adjust up, 'I Feel Bad' adjusts down: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (October 19, 2018). "'Big Bang Theory,' 'Superstore,' and 'Thursday Night Football' adjust up: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (October 26, 2018). "'Big Bang Theory,' 'Supernatural,' and 'Thursday Night Football' adjust up, 'Will & Grace' adjusts down: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (November 2, 2018). "'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Superstore,' and more adjust up, 'I Feel Bad' adjusts down: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (November 9, 2018). "'Thursday Night Football' adjusts up: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (November 16, 2018). "'Thursday Night Football' adjusts up: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 16, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (December 7, 2018). "'Thursday Night Football' adjusts up, 'Mom' adjusts down: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (January 7, 2019). "'The Blacklist,' 'The Orville,' 'Gotham,' everything else unchanged: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- Welch, Alex (January 11, 2019). "'Mom' adjusts down: Thursday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- "(#T12.16013) "The Confirmation Polarization"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 7, 2019.