The Big Job (film)
|The Big Job|
UK theatrical poster
|Directed by||Gerald Thomas|
|Produced by||Frank Bevis|
|Written by||John Antrobus|
|Music by||Eric Rogers|
|Edited by||Rod Nelson-Keys|
|Distributed by||Warner-Pathé Distributors|
The Big Job shared its cast and production team with the Carry On films, but the film was not officially part of the Carry On series. The film was photographed in black and white, while the Carry On films from the mid 1960s were in colour.
Britain, 1950. A gang of robbers led by the self-proclaimed George 'The Great' Brain (Sid James) rob a bank, stealing £50,000. However, due to a mix-up, they are pursued and caught by the police. He manages to stash away the money in a case in the trunk of a hollow tree, before he is collared. The gang are then sentenced to serve fifteen years in Wormwood Scrubs prison.
Upon their release in 1965, the gang go back to the spot where they had left the money, only to find it is now a new town, and a housing estate has been built around the tree. To their chagrin they find that the tree is now in the grounds of the local police station, invitingly close to the wall. George and his gang take up rooms in a nearby house rented by a widow and her daughter. In order to provide a respectable front, George reluctantly agrees to marry his longtime girlfriend Myrtle Robbins (Sylvia Syms) who is not so enamoured about the idea of recovering the loot and wants George to settle down with her.
The incompetent criminals fail in their numerous attempts to get over or under the wall, all the while trying to conceal their true activities from their landlady, her daughter and a local police constable (Jim Dale) who also stays there. Eventually, when the men have botched an attempt to tunnel into the grounds, the frustrated women hatch their own plot to gain the money, and succeed, only to find that the money has been shredded by little bustards nesting in the tree.
- Sid James as George 'The Great' Brain
- Sylvia Syms as Myrtle Robbins
- Dick Emery as Frederick 'Booky' Binns
- Joan Sims as Mildred Gamely
- Lance Percival as Timothy 'Dipper' Day
- Jim Dale as Harold
- Deryck Guyler as Police Sergeant
- Edina Ronay as Sally Gamely
- Reginald Beckwith as Register Office Official
- Michael Ward as Undertaker
- Brian Rawlinson as Henry Blobbitt
- David Horne as Judge
- Frank Forsyth as Bank Cashier
- Frank Thornton as Bank Official
- Wanda Ventham as Dot Franklin
Peter Rogers had a script for what eventually would be The Big Job, but elected not to incorporate it into the Carry On series. Of the principal cast, only Sylvia Syms and Dick Emery did not feature in at least one Carry On. The film was principally shot at Pinewood Studios, with exteriors at Silver Hill, Chalfont St Giles (the bank), Fulmer and Bracknell (residential and town streets) and Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire (countryside).
- Blue Streak, a 1999 movie with a similar plot
- The Big Job (1965) - Plot summary
- The Big Job at IMDb Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- The Big Job | review, synopsis, book tickets, showtimes, movie release date | Time Out New York
- "Reel Streets". Reel Streets. 2013-08-26. Retrieved 2017-11-20.