The Big Reunion (concerts)
|Tour by Five, 911, Atomic Kitten, B*Witched, Honeyz, Liberty X and Blue|
Promotional image for the tour
|Start date||26 February 2013|
|End date||15 December 2013|
|No. of shows||24 in the UK
1 in Ireland
The Big Reunion is a 2013 series of concerts featuring British pop groups Five, 911, Atomic Kitten, Honeyz, Liberty X and Blue, and Irish group B*Witched. The groups, who were big names in the UK pop music scene in the late 1990s and early 2000s, reunited for the ITV2 reality-documentary series The Big Reunion (apart from Blue, who had already been reunited since 2011), a show which follows them meeting again for the first time in a decade and rehearsing ahead of their comeback performance.
Although the bands were initially only to perform a single concert at London's Hammersmith Apollo on 26 February 2013, high demand for tickets and the popularity of the series led to a full arena tour being announced. The arena tour consisted of 16 shows that took place during May 2013, although Blue only performed at four of these shows due to their own tour commitments. A "Big Pop Party" and a "Christmas party tour" were later announced as well. The Big Pop Party consisted of three gigs in separate months and the Christmas Party featured seven gigs in December.
On 18 October 2012, it was announced that pop groups Five, 911, Atomic Kitten, B*Witched, Honeyz and Liberty X—who were big names in the UK pop music scene in the mid-to-late 1990s and early 2000s—would be reuniting for an ITV2 documentary series and a comeback performance at some point in 2013.
On 21 February 2013, it was revealed that a seventh band, Blue, would be joining The Big Reunion gig as well. When asked why they chose to join The Big Reunion, Blue said: "Phil Mount, the Big Reunion's producer, has always been a long time supporter of the band, giving us our first TV break, he really wanted us to be surprise special guests announced half way through the series and to perform on the Hammersmith Apollo show. This sounded like a lot of fun, giving us the perfect chance to perform together again in the UK for our fans and reconnect with the other acts, many of whom friends of ours and started out around the same time as us. For us the 'Big Reunion' is a great chance for all of us bands to come together for one BIG party on Tuesday night!"
The bands were originally only supposed to perform a one-off concert at London's Hammersmith Apollo on 26 February 2013, but when the entire show sold out in under five minutes shortly after the premiere of the first episode on 31 January 2013, rumours circulated that the show may become a full arena tour around the UK. On 11 February, it was confirmed that, following high ticket demands and the popularity of The Big Reunion, a full 12-date UK tour would be taking place from 3–12 May 2013. On 14 February shows were added in Dublin and Belfast, bringing the tour to a total of 14 shows. Blue will only be taking part in four of the 14 shows due to headlining their own arena tour.
On 27 March 2013, it was announced that the bands would perform a mini Christmas tour in December 2013. Five, Atomic Kitten, B*Witched, 911, Honeyz and Liberty X will all be taking part, but Blue will not as they will be headlining their own comeback tour. Three additional shows were announced on 23 April 2013.
Broadcast and recordings
The original Hammersmith Apollo show in February was recorded and parts of the concert, as well as backstage footage, aired on ITV2 on 28 March 2013 as The Big Reunion finale. The full concert was also released on DVD on 1 April 2013.
|26 February 2013||London||England||Hammersmith Apollo|
|3 May 2013||Sheffield||England||Motorpoint Arena Sheffield|
|4 May 2013||Manchester||Manchester Arena|
|5 May 2013||Newcastle||Metro Radio Arena|
|6 May 2013||Aberdeen||Scotland||Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre|
|7 May 2013||Glasgow||Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre|
|8 May 2013||Liverpool||England||Echo Arena Liverpool|
|9 May 2013||Nottingham||Capital FM Arena|
|10 May 2013||Bournemouth||Bournemouth International Centre|
|11 May 2013||Cardiff||Wales||Motorpoint Arena Cardiff|
|12 May 2013||Birmingham||England||LG Arena|
|13 May 2013||Brighton||Brighton Centre|
|14 May 2013||London||The O2 Arena|
|16 May 2013||Dublin||Ireland||The O2|
|17 May 2013||Belfast||Northern Ireland||Odyssey Arena|
|28 June 2013[A]||Newmarket||England||Newmarket Racecourse|
|18 August 2013||York||Castle Howard|
|7 December 2013[B]||Minehead||Butlins Minehead|
|Christmas Party Tour|
|11 December 2013||Nottingham||England||Capital FM Arena|
|12 December 2013||Birmingham||LG Arena|
|13 December 2013||Sheffield||Motorpoint Arena Sheffield|
|14 December 2013[C]||London||The O2 Arena|
|15 December 2013[D]||Manchester||Manchester Arena|
- A Five, Blue, and Liberty X only. Part of Newmarket Nights' "Big Pop Party"
- B Blue will not be performing. Part of Butlin's "Back Together" music weekend.
- C Matinee and evening concerts
Almost 4,000 people attended the sold-out show at the Hammersmith Apollo on 26 February, for which tickets sold out almost immediately after going on sale. The entire 14-date arena tour quickly sold out as well.
The arena tour has received highly positive reviews from critics. Denise Evans gave the show in Manchester on 4 May, four out of five stars. "It was like watching a Smash Hits Poll Winners Party of old or an episode of Top of the Pops, which ultimately is exactly what the majority people singing and dancing along in the arena wanted. A bit of nostalgia.", she said. After attending the show in Nottingham on 10 May, Jayne Garfitt of thisisnottingham.com said "When it comes to revisiting the bands of your childhood the experience tends to tread a thin line between legendary and tragic. But that was not the case with the Big Reunion Tour. From the minute 5ive stepped on stage to the opening bars of Queen's We Will Rock You, the atmosphere at the Capital FM Arena was electric. They might all be older and wiser but there is no doubt that these bands still have what it takes – slick dance moves, catchy lyrics and a great big sense of fun. Brilliant."
- Goodacre, Kate (18 October 2012). "Atomic Kitten, 5ive, B*Witched, 911, more to reunite for ITV2 show". Digital Spy. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Lazarus, Susanna (18 October 2012). "Atomic Kitten, 5ive and B*Witched to reform for ITV2's The Big Reunion". Radio Times. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Blue Join Reality Show The Big Reunion". MTV UK. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Blue to join ITV's Big Reunion". musicnews.com. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- Daniels, Colin (3 February 2013). "'Big Reunion' UK arena tour in the works". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Nissam, Mayer (11 February 2013). "5ive, Atomic Kitten, B*Witched, Liberty X, 911 for Big Reunion arena tour". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Cuffe, Aidan (14 February 2013). "The Big Re-Union announces show at The O2 and Odyssey Arena". Goldenplec. Retrieved 3 March 2013./
- "Blue Snub 'The Big Reunion' Tour". Huffington Post UK. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "5ive, B*Witched, Atomic Kitten for 'Big Reunion' Christmas Party tour". Digital Spy. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "5ive, B*Witched, Atomic Kitten for 'Big Reunion' Christmas Party tour". Digital Spy. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Miller, Adam (23 April 2013). "'Big Reunion' Add More Christmas Tour Dates To B*Witched, Atomic Kitten & 5ive Shows". entertainmentwise.com. Retrieved 23 April 2013./
- "'Big Reunion' stars return to the stage at Hammersmith Apollo". Digital Spy. 27 February 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "The Big Reunion Live 2013 – DVD". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "The Big Reunion Live Show: All the details, set list and after-party gossip!". Heat. 27 February 2013. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "'Big Reunion' stars return to the stage at Hammersmith Apollo – pictures". Daily Mail. 27 February 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "The Big Reunion arena tour announced with 5ive and 911". BBC. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "The Big Reunion Concert Tour: Dublin and Belfast Irish Dates Added". The Daily Update. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "'BIG POP PARTY' ON ADNAMS NEWMARKET NIGHT". newmarketracecourse.co.uk. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Noughties Pop Fest". castlehoward.co.uk. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Back Together". bigweekends.com. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Evans, Denise (6 May 2013). "Review: Reunited in pop nostalgia". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- Garfitt, Jayne (10 May 2013). "Review: The Big Reunion, Capital FM Arena". thisisnottingham.com. Nottingham Post. Retrieved 11 May 2013.