The Biggest Little Farm
|The Biggest little Farm|
One of US theatrical release posters
|Directed by||John Chester|
|Produced by||Sandra Keats|
|Written by||John Chester|
|Music by||Jeff Beal|
|Edited by||Amy Overbeck|
|Box office||$5 million|
The Biggest Little Farm is a 2018 American documentary film, directed by Emmy Award Winning director John Chester. The film profiles the life of Chester and his wife Molly as they acquire and establish themselves on Apricot Lane Farms in Moorpark, California.
The film premiered on September 1, 2018 at the Telluride Film Festival. It had its second screening at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival, where it was named second runner-up for the People's Choice Award: Documentaries. It was selected as the Opening Night film at Doc NYC in November 2018. The film was screened as part of the Spotlight Section at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival. It also screened at the 29th New Orleans Film Festival on October 24, 2018.
The film was acquired for theatrical distribution by the independent film company Neon, and was released on May 10, 2019 in Los Angeles and New York. The film expanded into Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Minneapolis, Nashville, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco and Washington D.C on May 17 and additional markets throughout May and June. The film has been acquired by The Exchange for international distribution.
The Biggest Little Farm is about a young couple who decide to leave their old lives behind and buy a farm. The movie especially points out how hard it is to keep a farm running and all of the hardships, sadness and anger they face, but also the happy, beautiful moments and the relationships they build.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 91% based on 75 reviews with an average rating of 7.34/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Uplifting, educational, and entertaining, The Biggest Little Farm is an environmental advocacy documentary with a satisfying side dish of hope for the future." On Metacritic, it holds a 74/100 score (indicating "generally favorable reviews") based on 25 critics.
In his Variety review of the film, Peter DeBruge noted that it "feel[s] like fresh air for the soul.", and New York Times critic Glenn Kenny wrote "it may also revive your wonder at the weird but ultimately awe-inspiring ways in which humans can help nature do its work". Additionally, The Los Angeles Times's Robert Abele wrote that the film is a "lush tour of transformed land and photogenic fauna, is so appealing as a chronicle of dedicated do-gooders who actually did good (and shot every frame of it). [...] Watching the Chesters fight past disillusionment to learn the real lessons of harvesting in communion with nature is what gives the movie its rousing, illuminating power."
Awards and nominations
A list of nominations and awards the film has received is as follows:
- Palm Springs International Film Festival - Audience Award for Best Documentary 
- Toronto International Film Festival - Second runner-up for The Grolsch People's Choice Documentary Award 
- Sundance Film Festival - Runner-up for the Festival Favorite Award 
- American Film Institute Fest - Audience Award for Best Feature 
- Boulder Film Festival - Grand Jury Prize for Feature Length Film 
- Boulder Film Festival - Best Documentary 
- Mill Valley Film Festival - Silver Audience Award for Valley of the Docs Presentation 
- Hamptons International Film Festival - Audience Award for Best Documentary Feature 
- Middleburg Film Festival - Audience Award for Best Documentary 
- Annapolis Film Festival - Audience Award for Best Feature Documentary 
- Gasparilla Film Festival - Grand Jury Prize for Best Feature Documentary
- Sedona Film Festival - Best of the Fest 
- Sedona Film Festival - Director's Choice Award for Best Documentary 
- 92nd Oscars Shortlist - Documentary Feature
- "Telluride Film Review: ‘The Biggest Little Farm’". Variety, September 1, 2018.
- "The Biggest Little Farm (2019)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "The Biggest Little Farm (2019)". The Numbers. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- "'The Biggest Little Farm': Film Review | Telluride 2018". The Hollywood Reporter, September 9, 2018.
- Hipes, Patrick; Hipes, Patrick (28 April 2018). "Daytime Creative Arts Emmy Awards: 'Bold And The Beautiful', 'Sesame Street' Top Winners".
- "Toronto: Neon Lands Documentary ‘The Biggest Little Farm’". Variety, September 11, 2018.
- "Toronto: Neon Takes 'The Biggest Little Farm' Doc for North America". The Hollywood Reporter, September 11, 2018.
- "'Green Book' boosts awards season prospects with TIFF audience award win". Screen Daily, September 16, 2018.
- "The Biggest Little Farm announced as the 2018 Opening Night Film!".
- "The Biggest Little Farm | New Orleans Film Society". neworleansfilmsociety.org. Retrieved 2018-09-30.
- Kay, Jeremy (2019-01-17). "'The Biggest Little Farm' lands at The Exchange for international, separately scores key deals (exclusive)". Screen.
- "The Biggest Little Farm (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 23, 2019.
- "Digest of Rules". NFL.com. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- Debruge, Peter. "Telluride Film Review: 'The Biggest Little Farm'". Variety.
- Kenny, Glenn. "'The Biggest Little Farm' Review: The Pleasures of D.I.Y. Agriculture".
- (subscription required)Abele, Robert. "Review: 'The Biggest Little Farm' is a winning doc about a couple's agricultural dream".
- "30th Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival Announces Award Winners - Palm Springs International Film Festival". www.psfilmfest.org.
- "Announcing the TIFF '18 Award Winners". TIFF.
- Tuesday; February 5th; 2019. "2019 SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL: KNOCK DOWN THE HOUSE WINS FESTIVAL FAVORITE AWARD". www.sundance.org.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Announcing AFI FEST 2018 Audience and Jury Award Winners".
- "2019 Awards – BIFF – Boulder International Film Festival".
- "MVFF41 AUDIENCE FAVOURITES – Mill Valley Film Festival". www.mvff.com.
- "HIFF 2018 Awards Announced". hamptonsfilmfest.org.
- "GREEN BOOK and BIGGEST LITTLE FARM Win Audience Awards at Middleburg Film Festival". VIMOOZ. 22 October 2018.
- "Annapolis Film Festival - Home". Annapolis Film Festival.
- "2019 Festival Award Winners". Sedona International Film Festival.