The Birds of Africa
- "The Birds of Africa" is also a 5-volume handbook by George Ernest Shelley, published 1896-1912.
|Author||C. Hilary Fry, Stuart Keith, Emil Urban|
|1982 - 2004|
The Birds of Africa is a eight-volume ornithological handbook. Its authors/editors were C. Hilary Fry, Stuart Keith and Emil Urban, and each volume contained colour plates painted by Martin Woodcock. A Concise Edition is in preparation, with a planned publication date of 2010.
It covers all breeding species in full, with details of range, status, description, voice, general habits and breeding; non-breeding visitors are treated more briefly, with emphasis on their status and behaviour whilst in Africa.
The series contained the following volumes:
- Ostriches to Falcons, published in 1982
- Gamebirds to Pigeons, published in 1986
- Parrots to Woodpeckers, published in 1988
- Broadbills to Chats, published in 1992
- Thrushes to Puffback Flycatchers, published in 1997
- Picathartes to Oxpeckers, published in 2000
- Sparrows to Buntings, published in 2004
- The Malagasy Region, published 2013
|This article about an ornithology-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|