The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith
cover by Andrew Smith of The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith
|Author||Clark Ashton Smith|
|Cover artist||Andrew Smith|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
|Pages||xv, 141 pp|
|LC Class||PS3537.M335 B5|
The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith is a transcription of a notebook that was kept by author Clark Ashton Smith. It was released in 1979 by Arkham House in an edition of 2,588 copies. The book was transcribed from Smith's notebook by Donald Sidney-Fryer and Robert A. ('Rah') Hoffman. Appended to the transcription are two memoirs of Smith by George F. Haas.
The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith contains the following:
- "Foreword", by Marvin R. Hiemstra
- The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith
- "A Note on the Text"
- "Explanation of Editorial Devices"
- "Index by Title"
- "The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith"
- "Excerpts from The Black Book"
- "Appendix of Finished Poems"
- "Song of the Necromancer"
- "Dominium in Excelsis"
- "Shapes in the Sunset"
- "Don Quixote on Market Street"
- "Soliloquy in an Ebon Tower"
- "The Isle of Saturn"
- "The Centaur"
- "Ye Shall Return"
- "Appendix of Published Epigrams and Pensées"
- Two Memoirs of Smith by George F. Haas
- "As I Remember Klarkash-ton"
- "Memories of Klarkash-ton"
- Jaffery, Sheldon (1989). The Arkham House Companion. Mercer Island, WA: Starmont House, Inc. p. 122. ISBN 1-55742-005-X.
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 53.
- Joshi, S.T. (1999). Sixty Years of Arkham House: A History and Bibliography. Sauk City, WI: Arkham House. pp. 144–145. ISBN 0-87054-176-5.
- Nielsen, Leon (2004). Arkham House Books: A Collector's Guide. Jefferson, NC and London: McFarland & Company, Inc. pp. 125–126. ISBN 0-7864-1785-4.