The Black Cat!
|The Black Cat!|
|Studio album by Gene Ammons|
|Recorded||November 11, 1970|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey|
|Gene Ammons chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Allmusic awarded the album 4 stars with its review by Stewart Mason stating, "One of Gene Ammons' best late-period albums, 1970's Black Cat is a bluesy, low-key album and a comparative anomaly: a primarily acoustic soul-jazz album! Ammons was experimenting heavily with the amplified, feedback-laced electric saxophone during this period, but for Black Cat he sticks to his familiar unamplified tenor, playing raunchy gutbucket lines".
All compositions by Gene Ammons except where noted.
- "The Black Cat" – 5:36
- "Long Long Time" (Gary White) – 4:31
- "Piece to Keep Away Evil Spirits" – 7:49
- "Jug Eyes" – 8:10
- "Something" (George Harrison) – 3:20
- "Hi Ruth!" – 5:08
- Gene Ammons – tenor saxophone
- Harold Mabern – piano, electric piano
- George Freeman – guitar
- Ron Carter – bass
- Idris Muhammad – drums
- Unidentified violins arranged by Bill Fischer (tracks 2 & 5)