The Black Ryder
|The Black Ryder|
Photo of The Black Ryder taken from The Door Behind The Door artwork - photographer Kristin Cofer
|Genres||Psychedelic rock, dream pop, space rock, art rock, alternative rock, experimental rock, shoegazing|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, keyboards, percussion|
|Labels||The Anti-Machine Machine / EMIMusic Australia|
|Associated acts||The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Morning After Girls, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Brian Jonestown Massacre|
Scott Von Ryper
Their debut album Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride was released through their own label The Anti-Machine Machine / EMI Music Australia on 6 November 2009, & Mexican Summer  Records in America on 21 September 2010.
The Black Ryder formed in 2007 by founding members Aimee Nash & Scott Von Ryper after their exit from The Morning After Girls.
Whilst the duo play the majority of instruments on their recordings they also feature guest players on recordings and in their live shows. Contributors & guests have included members from The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Cat Power, The Church, & Swervedriver.
The band have released two albums to date:
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride
Released in 2009, their self-produced debut was included in Rolling Stone Magazine (Australia) Best Albums of 2010 and earned them a nomination as Best New Artist. The album featured many guest players, including Ricky Maymi from The Brian Jonestown Massacre, & Peter Hayes & Leah Shapiro from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.
The Door Behind the Door
Released in 2015 the album was again self-produced & drew international critical acclaim, notably from Rolling Stone Magazine, Stereogum, Interview Magazine, Entertainment Weekly & Noisey.
The Black Ryder have played/toured with The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Cult, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Primal Scream, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Black Angels, The Charlatans, Pete Kember (Spectrum), Broken Social Scene, The Raveonettes & Tamaryn.
In 2009, The Black Ryder made their live debut opening for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club on their Australian tour followed by subsequent Australian tours with Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Charlatans, & The Raveonettes.
In 2012, the band were invited to perform at SXSW (Austin, Texas). In 2013, the band played at Austin Psych Fest. They also joined Primal Scream, & The Black Angels  on their west coast shows.
In September 2014, The Black Ryder were invited to play at George Fest: A night to Celebrate the Music of George Harrison where they performed their version of George Harrison's Isn't It A Pity. Recorded and filmed at The Fonda Theater in Los Angeles, the concert and DVD also featured artists such as Brian Wilson, Norah Jones, Brandon Flowers, Conan O Brien, Ben Harper, Dhani Harrison, Ian Astbury, Perry Farrell and many more.
In 2015 the band played their own headline shows in the USA & UK in support of their second album release The Door Behind The Door & would join The Jesus & Mary Chain on their 30th Anniversary tour of Psycho Candy in America.
They also performed at 'Levitation' (Austin Psych Fest) where they were noted by Noisey as being one of the festival highlights. .
Guest artists & players have included:
- Ricky Maymi Brian Jonestown Massacre
- Leah Shapiro Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- Peter Hayes Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- Gregg Foreman Cat Power / Pink Mountaintops
- Hayden Scott Brody Dalle / Awolnation
- Graham Bonnar Swervedriver / The Brian Jonestown Massacre
- Jules Ferrari The Dolly Rocker Movement / Songs
- Malia James Dum Dum Girls
- Luke O'Farrell The Laurels
- Kate Wilson The Laurels / The Holy Soul
- Adam Edwards Wolf & Cub
Several of The Black Ryder's musical works include scores for Australian Jewelry designers MANIAMANIA. The films for 'The Third Mind' collection (featuring Abbey Lee Kershaw) were launched on the New York Times website, as well as other high fashion + lifestyle sites.
Nash and Von Ryper are currently based in Los Angeles.
- Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride - 6 November 2009 (The Anti-Machine Machine / EMI Music Australia / Mexican Summer)
- The Door Behind the Door - 24 February 2015 (The Anti-Machine Machine)
Film & Television
Sweet Come Down was featured in 2014 major motion picture Son of a Gun starring Ewan McGregor.
Grass - HBO show Damages (an Emmy and Golden Globe-award-winning show) in 2009.
- "Sweet Come Down" - Taken from the album Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride; Directed by Michael Spiccia 
- "Let Me Be Your Light" - Taken from the album The Door Behind the Door; Directed by Juan Azulay
- George Fest: A night to Celebrate the Music of George Harrison (BMG Recorded Music/Hot Records) Release Date: 26 February 2015 
- Son of a Gun - Motion Picture Soundtrack Release date 2015 
- Live from Nowhere near you - Vol 2 Release date 2011 
- Coastal Chill (EMI Records) Release date 2010 
- Let It Go and Rise - Burn Your Fingers on the Sun (Darkland Recordings / Off the Hip – Australia) Release Date: 1 January 2008
- Let It Go - Dead Bees Record Sampler # 6 (Dead Bees records - France) Release Date: 1 May 2007
- Let It Go - Turn On Your Mind (Psilocybin Sounds – UK) Release Date: 1 March 2007
- "The Black Ryder to release debut album on own label, 'The Anti-Machine Machine' via EMI Music". Music Feeds. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "Mexican Summer 'Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride'". Mexican Summer. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "The Black Ryder announce release Door Behind The Door". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2015-02-05.
-  Archived 1 February 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "MTV Black Ryder bio page". MTV. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- "Soulshine Rolling Stone nomination 'Best New Artist'". Soulshine. Retrieved 2010-04-13.
- "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride Credits". AllMusic.
- "Rolling Stone Magazine says The Black Ryder get it completely right". RollingStone.com. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "Stereogum says new Black Ryder sound is one overwhelming wave of gorgeous noise.". Stereogum.com. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "Interview Magazine premieres 'Black Ryder Let Me Be Your Light' film". Interviewmagazine.com. Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- "Entertainment Weekly says Black Ryder "Gothy Shoegaze Perfection"". EntertainmentWeekly.com. Retrieved 2015-02-05.
- "Noisey exclusive premiere of Seventh Moon". Noisey.com. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- Easton, Max (2009-11-01). "The Black Ryder – Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride | Soulshine | Australian Independent Music". Soulshine. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
-  Archived 3 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "GRIMY GOODS ~ The Black Angels with the Black Ryder at at Pappy and Harriet's | Pappy & Harriets". Pappyandharriets.com. 2013-09-06. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "Brooklyn Vegan ~ JAMC & The Black Ryder". brooklynvegan.com. 2015-05-11.
- "Louder Than War ~ The Black Ryder to support The Jesus & Mary Chain on USA tour". brooklynvegan.com. 2015-05-11.
- "Noisey ~ The Black Ryder one of the highlights of Levitation". noisey.com. 2015-09-28.
-  Archived 8 August 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Dust". I.themaniamania.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "The Third Mind". I.themaniamania.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "Press | Shop Designer Crystal Jewellery Online | ManiaMania". I.themaniamania.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- Laudadio, Marisa; Dodd, Johnny (29 May 2012). "The Cult's Ian Astbury Weds in Las Vegas". People. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "IIS7". Offthehip.com.au. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "Dead Bees Records - The Temporary Thing - Call Me Loretta - The Nova Express - Eyelash Pulse - A Poplar - Director's Cut - De Neuve". Deadbees.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
-  Archived 14 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.