The Blind Spot
Dust-jacket from the first edition
|Author||Austin Hall and Homer Eon Flint|
|Cover artist||Hannes Bok|
|Genre||Science fiction novel|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
|Followed by||The Spot of Life|
The Blind Spot is a science fiction novel by authors Austin Hall and Homer Eon Flint. The novel was originally serialized in six parts in the magazine Argosy beginning in May 1921. It was first published in book form in 1951 by Prime Press in an edition of 1,500 copies, though fewer than 800 were bound and the remainder are assumed lost. The sequel, The Spot of Life, was written by Hall alone.
The novel concerns an interdimensional doorway between worlds.
The Blind Spot, by Austin Hall and Homer Eon Flint, is an acknowledged classic of fantasy, first published in 1921; much praised since then, several times reprinted, venerated by connoisseurs - all despite the fact that the book has no recognizable vestige of merit.
Groff Conklin, however, more generously termed The Blind Spot an "honored classic" despite being "overwritten [and] leaning a little heavily on the pseudo-metaphysical." Forrest J Ackerman described it in Astounding as a "luxuriantly glorious Merrittesque [fantasy] of dimensional interstices" and "a highly philosophical work."
Everett F. Bleiler wrote that The Blind Spot "used to be regarded as one of the classics of early science-fiction, but now it is much less esteemed." He concluded that while its opening section "evoke[s] a considerable sense of wonder," the novel "soon degenerates into a routine adventure story with loose ends."
- 1921, US, Argosy, Pub date May 1921, magazine serialization in 6 parts
- 1940, US, Famous Fantastic Mysteries, Pub date March 1940, magazine serialization in 3 parts
- 1940, US, Fantastic Novels, Pub date July 1940, magazine
- 1950, US, Prime Press OCLC 7329780, Pub date 1951, Hardback, first book publication
- 1953, UK, Museum OCLC 222434536, Pub date 1953, Hardback
- 1964, US, Ace Books OCLC 7326942, Pub date 1964, Paperback
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 532.
- Clute, John; Peter Nicholls (1995). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. New York: St. Martin's Griffin. p. 535. ISBN 0-312-13486-X.
- Tuck, Donald H. (1974). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Chicago: Advent. p. 202. ISBN 0-911682-20-1.
- The full text of The Blind Spot (Hall and Flint) at Wikisource