The Bohemian (Bouguereau)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)
|Medium||oil on canvas|
|Dimensions||149.9 cm × 106.7 cm (59.0 in × 42.0 in)|
The Bohemian is a painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau completed in 1890. It depicts a barefooted young woman sitting on a concrete bench on the south bank of the Seine across from Notre Dame de Paris resting a violin in her lap. Her right arm is resting on her thigh while the palm of her left hand is pressed down on her left knee so that she does not lean on the violin. Her hands are clasped with the fingers pointing forward while her shoulders are wrapped in a shawl dyed maroon and light green, and she is wearing a gray dress that extends to her ankles. The bow of the violin has been stuck through diagonally under the fingerboard. To her right is a maple tree.
- Palmer, Allison Lee (2019-07-26). Historical Dictionary of Romantic Art and Architecture. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 978-1-5381-2296-9. Retrieved 2021-12-20.
- "William Adolphe Bouguereau (French, 1825-1905)". www.christies.com. Retrieved 2021-12-20.
- "Notre Dame an inspiration in film, music and books". Daily Sabah. 2019-04-19. Retrieved 2021-12-20.
- "Quand Notre-Dame inspire les peintres - Arts in the City" (in French). 2019-04-16. Retrieved 2021-12-20.
- "Lot 133/Sale 1364". Retrieved 16 October 2010.