The Bottoms (novel)
|Author||Joe R. Lansdale|
|Cover artist||Alan M. Clark|
|Publisher||Subterranean Press, Mysterious Press|
|1 May 2000|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
|Preceded by||Blood Dance (2000)|
|Followed by||A Fine Dark Line (2002)|
This story takes place during the Great Depression in East Texas. Young Harry Crane discovers the mutilated body of a black woman that sets off a mystery involving rising violence and racism. Despite the efforts of law enforcement, the killing continues. Harry and his younger sister, Thomasina, fix their suspicions on a local horror legend, The Goat Man, who lives deep in the Big Thicket. Together they set out to solve the mystery of who the real killer is.
- The 2000 Edgar Award for best novel.
- A New York Times Notable Book of the Year (2000)
- The 2000 Herodotus Award for The First US Historical Novel
- A 2000 Dashiell Hammett Award for "Best Novel" (nominated)
- The 2001 Mystery Readers International's Macavity Awards for best mystery novel. (nominated)
This book was published as lettered edition and a limited edition by Subterranean Press and as a trade hardcover by Mysterious Press. It was re-issued as a trade paperback by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard Publications on 7 December 2010. As of August 2012, all hardcover editions are out of print.
- "Edgar Awards throughout time". Mystery Writers of America. Retrieved 5 September 2012. Note: the link is to a database, a query must be entered to find this specific work.
- Perskie, Jana L. "The Bottoms". Mostly Fiction Book Reviews. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Ketchersid, Larry (17 April 2012). "REVIEW: Edge of Dark Water". SF Signal. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
The Bottoms, Joe Lansdale’s Edgar Award winning novel from 2000, is one of my favorite stories
- "Holiday Books 2000". New York Times Book Review. December 3, 2000. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Herodotus Award - Book awards - LibraryThing". librarything.com.
- THE HAMMETT PRIZE: PAST WINNERS, NOMINEES, AND JUDGES retrieved 8/1/13
- "The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale". Subterranean Press web site. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "The Bottoms". Random House web site. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Bill Paxton on Oprah Winfrey, retrieved 7/31/13
- The Bottoms Film Adaptation. "The Bottoms Film". Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Lansdale, Joe R. "The Bottoms Film Adaptation". Retrieved 22 February 2014.