The Boy Band Con: The Lou Pearlman Story
|The Boy Band Con:|
The Lou Pearlman Story
|Directed by||Aaron Kunkel|
|Music by||Bleeding Fingers|
|Distributed by||YouTube Premium|
The Boy Band Con: The Lou Pearlman Story is an American documentary film that premiered on March 13, 2019 at SXSW. Produced by Lance Bass, the film explores the career and legacy of record producer and convicted criminal Lou Pearlman.
The Boy Band Con: The Lou Pearlman Story features "the story of Lou Pearlman, his remarkable successes and offenses, and his tragic end while serving a 25-year prison sentence for multiple felony convictions. The Lou Pearlman Project reveals the dark side of stardom and the music industry as members of multi-platinum-selling bands like *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, O-Town and Take 5 tell all about working with Pearlman."
The documentary includes interviews with:
Andre Boyd (cellmate)
On April 24, 2018, it was announced that YouTube Red was in production on The Lou Pearlman Project, a documentary executive produced by Lance Bass, Craig Piligian, Nicholas Caprio, and Sam Korkis. The documentary was set to feature interviews with AJ McLean, Ashley Parker Angel, Aaron Carter, JC Chasez, Chris Kirkpatrick, Lance Bass, Diane Bass, and Lynn Bomar Harless. Production companies involved with the film were slated to consist of Pilgrim Media Group.
The film is scheduled to hold its world premiere at the Paramount Theatre in Austin, Texas on March 13, 2019 during the South by Southwest film festival as part of the "24 Beats Per Second" series of screenings.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 24, 2018). "YouTube Orders Lou Pearlman Documentary About Disgraced Music Producer From Lance Bass & Craig Piligian". Deadline. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Kaufman, Gil (April 24, 2018). "*NSYNC's Lance Bass Exec-Producing Lou Pearlman Documentary for YouTube Red". Billboard. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Spangler, Todd (April 24, 2018). "Documentary on Disgraced Boy-Band Producer Lou Pearlman Ordered by YouTube Red". Variety. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Blistein, Jon (April 24, 2018). "'NSync, Backstreet Boys Tapped for Lou Pearlman Documentary". Rolling Stone. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Setoodeh, Ramin (January 16, 2019). "SXSW to Premiere Harmony Korine's 'Beach Bum,' Seth Rogen Comedy, Kathy Griffin Concert Film". Variety. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- "The Boy Band Con: The Lou Pearlman Story – SXSW". South by Southwest. Archived from the original on February 9, 2019. Retrieved February 9, 2019.