The Boys Are Back in Town
|"The Boys Are Back in Town"|
1991 Re-release UK 7" single
|Single by Thin Lizzy|
|from the album Jailbreak|
|B-side||"Emerald", "Jailbreak" or "Sarah"|
|Released||April 17, 1976
|Format||7", 12", CS, Picture disc|
|Genre||Hard rock, blues rock|
|Length||4:29 (Album version)
4:53 (Full version)
3:11 (Single version)
It was given 499th position among the 2004 Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, though it was not included in the 2010 update. Rolling Stone praised lead singer Phil Lynott's "Gaelic soul" and called the "twin-guitar lead by Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson" used "crucial to the song's success". The song is played at most Irish Rugby matches. In March 2005, Q magazine placed "The Boys Are Back in Town" at No. 38 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks.
|"The Boys Are Back in Town" (1976)||8||12||1|
|"The Boys Are Back in Town" (1991 reissue)||63||16|
Single release information
The original 1976 UK single release featured album track "Emerald" as a B-side, although in some territories "Jailbreak" was chosen. The single was remixed and re-released in several formats in March 1991, after the success of the "Dedication" single, reaching No. 63 in the UK. The 12" EP featured the extra tracks "Johnny the Fox Meets Jimmy the Weed", "Black Boys on the Corner" and a live version of "Me and the Boys". There are many theories regarding the inspiration behind "The Boys Are Back in Town", although none has been verified.
||This section contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (December 2012)|
- Bon Jovi have covered the song live during concerts and have used it as a B-Side. The studio recording appeared on the compilation album Stairway to Heaven/Highway to Hell which featured covers of songs by artists/groups who had been touched by drug or alcohol abuse like Phil Lynott. Also featured were Mötley Crüe, Ozzy Osbourne, Scorpions, Skid Row, Cinderella, and Gorky Park. The album was released in 1989 by Mercury/PolyGram Records.
- The Rumble Strips covered the song in 2007 as a B-side to "Girls and Boys in Love"
- The Cardigans have covered the song as a B-side to "Hey! Get Out of My Way."
- Happy Mondays covered the song for their 1999 Greatest Hits compilation.
Appearances in other media
It is heard in the Navy SEALs, The Expendables, and A Knight's Tale It was used a trailer for Toy Story and its two sequels. The tagline for the second film was a parody of the title: "The Toys are back in town!"
At the 2012 Republican National Convention the song was used to introduce Vice-Presidential Candidate Paul Ryan on stage. This caused controversy as the use was unauthorised, and both Lynott's mother, Philomena Lynott, and Thin Lizzy lead guitarist Scott Gorham criticised its use, citing that Lynott would have objected to Mitt Romney's anti-gay and pro-rich policies and would never have used his music to endorse politicians. 
- The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time : Rolling Stone
- The Boys Are Back in Town : Rolling Stone
- BBC - Comic Relief does Fame Academy - Home
- Q lists - page3
- "The Boys Are Back in Town (1991) Record details". 45cat.com. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- "Irish Charts - Thin Lizzy". www.irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Bailie, Stuart – Jailbreak album sleeve notes
- McDonald, Henry (3 September 2012). "Phil Lynott's mother objects to Mitt Romney using Thin Lizzy's music". The Guardian.