The Bridge Is Over
|"The Bridge Is Over"|
|Single by Boogie Down Productions|
|from the album Criminal Minded|
|B-side||"A Word From Our Sponsor"|
|Released||March 3, 1987|
|Genre||East Coast hip hop, golden age hip hop|
Excerpt from The Bridge Is Over
|BDP singles chronology|
It is considered to be a classic diss song., aimed at MC Shan, Marley Marl, the Juice Crew and rappers from Queens, NY and the Queensbridge projects. It helped contribute to the end of the career of MC Shan.
|“||What's the matter with the crowd I'm seeing?
"Don't you know that they're out of touch?" Should I try to be a straight `A' student? "If you are then you think too much. Don't you know about the new fashion honey? All you need are looks and a whole lotta money." It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways It's still rock and roll to me
Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me
"The Bridge is Over":
|“||Whats the matter with your MC, Marley Marl?
Don't know you know that he's out of touch? What's the matter with your DJ, MC Shan? On the wheels of steel, Marlon sucks! You'd better change what comes out your speaker You're better off talkin' 'bout your wack Puma sneaker Cause Bronx created hip-hop, Queens will only get dropped, You're still tellin' lies to me. Everybody's talkin' 'bout the Juice Crew funny But you're still tellin' lies to me
- The song was sampled in MC Ren's song "Final Frontier", from his 1992 EP Kizz My Black Azz.
- The song was sampled in Rihanna's single "If It's Lovin' that You Want."
- The song was sampled in 50 Cent's song "Da Heatwave"
- The song was sampled in Queensbridge native Nas's song "Destroy & Rebuild." "The Bridge Is Over" is heavily alluded to as Nas argues that the Bridge is not in fact "over" throughout the song.
- The song's instrumental was used in the film Get Rich or Die Tryin', starring 50 Cent, which a young Marcus is rapping over the beat.
- A pitch-shifted version of the song is used in Coldcut's seminal entry in the Journeys by DJ series.
- The song was sampled in Pusha' T's song "Nosetalgia"
- on YouTube