The Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society
The Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society was founded on 21 April 1876. It is a registered charity, number 202014.
The aims of the society are to "...promote the study of the history and antiquities of Bristol and the historic county of Gloucestershire, to encourage their conservation and to publish reports of excavations, research and original historical sources."
The activities of the society include:
- Arranging lectures, meetings and excursions
- Publishing research on the archaeology and history of Bristol and Gloucestershire
- Encouraging research by awarding grants
- Maintaining an archaeological and historical library
- Monitoring the state of archaeological and historic sites in Bristol and Gloucestershire
The society has an extensive history of publications and the society's Transactions have been placed on their website. Their library is stored at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. The Charity Commission, 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Home. The Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- The BGAS Library at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Official website.
- Hathi Trust. Transactions, fulltext, various dates