The Broken Circle Breakdown
|The Broken Circle Breakdown|
|Directed by||Felix van Groeningen|
|Produced by||Dirk Impens|
Frans van Gestel
|Screenplay by||Carl Joos|
Felix van Groeningen
|Based on||The Broken Circle Breakdown |
by Johan Heldenbergh
|Music by||Bjorn Eriksson|
|Edited by||Nico Leunen|
|Distributed by||Kinepolis Film Distribution|
|Box office||$5.5 million|
The Broken Circle Breakdown (also known as Alabama Monroe) is a 2012 Belgian drama film directed by Felix van Groeningen with a screenplay by Carl Joos and van Groeningen. It is based on the stage play of the same name by Johan Heldenbergh and Mieke Dobbels.
The film garnered critical acclaim and was selected as the Belgian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 86th Academy Awards, and was on the nominated shortlist. The film was the winner of Best Foreign Film at the 39th César Awards. It was the winner of the 2013 Lux Prize.
- Johan Heldenbergh as Didier Bontinck / Monroe
- Veerle Baetens as Elise Vandevelde / Alabama
- Nell Cattrysse as Maybelle
- Geert Van Rampelberg as William
- Nils De Caster as Jock
- Robbie Cleiren as Jimmy
- Bert Huysentruyt as Jef
- Jan Bijvoet as Koen
- Blanka Heirman as Denise
The film is set in Ghent, in the Flemish Region of Belgium, and chronicles the lives of Didier (Johan Heldenbergh) and Elise (Veerle Baetens) over seven years as they fall in love through their passion for bluegrass music. Didier meets Elise in her tattoo parlour and invites her to the performance of his Bluegrass band. They soon fall in love. When Didier discovers Elise has a wonderful voice, she joins their band as a singer. After a few months, Elise discovers she is unexpectedly pregnant. Even though it comes as a shock at first, the couple is happy. Their daughter Maybelle is born and for a few years, they live a happy life and have success with their band.
After her sixth birthday, Maybelle develops cancer and her health quickly detoriates. She succumbs to it within a year. The death of Maybelle has a devastating effect on Didier and Elise's relationship and their lives. Didier focuses on scientism, especially after George W. Bush opposes embryonic stemcell-research under pressure of creationists and pro-life movements. Elise finds solace in spiritualism and reincarnation. The two grow further and further apart until Elise attempts suicide. She is rushed to the hospital but she is found braindead. Didier agrees to stop the artificial respiration. The movie ends with the band playing a song around Elise's deathbed.
The film was shot from 18 July to 8 September 2011 in Belgium.
- "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?" See also "Can the Circle Be Unbroken (By and By)"
- "The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn" by Alison Krauss, Pat Brayer, Jerry Douglas, Dan Tyminski, Barry Bales, and Ron Block
- "Dusty Mixed Feelings"
- "Wayfaring Stranger"
- "Rueben's Train"
- "Country In My Genes"
- "Further On Up The Road"
- "Where Are You Heading, Tumbleweed?"
- "Over In The Gloryland"
- "Cowboy Man"
- "If I Needed You"
- "Carved Tree Inn"
- "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us"
- "Blackberry Blossom"
The Broken Circle Breakdown has an approval rating of 82% on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 102 reviews, and an average rating of 7.29/10. The website's critical consensus states, "The Broken Circle Breakdown's reach occasionally exceeds its grasp, but overall, it's an intoxicating, finely wrought romance -- and one with a terrific soundtrack to boot". It also has a score of 70 out of 100 on Metacritic, based on 29 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
|Award||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result|
|Academy Awards||Best Foreign Language Film||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Nominated|
|César Awards||Best Foreign Film||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Won|
|Denver Film Critics Society||Best Foreign Language Film||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Nominated|
|European Film Awards||European Film||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Nominated|
|European Director||Felix Van Groeningen||Nominated|
|European Actress||Veerle Baetens||Won|
|European Actor||Johan Heldenbergh||Nominated|
|European Screenwriter||Carl Joos, Felix van Groeningen||Nominated|
|People's Choice Award for Best European Film||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Nominated|
|San Diego Film Critics Society||Best Foreign Language Film||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Nominated|
|Best Original Score||Bjorn Eriksson||Nominated|
|Satellite Awards||Best Foreign Language Film||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Won|
|Tribeca Film Festival||Best Actress in a Narrative Feature Film||Veerle Baetens||Won|
|Best Screenplay for a Narrative Feature Film||Carl Joos, Felix Van Groeningen||Won|
|Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association||Best Foreign Language Film||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Won|
|Lux Prize||-||The Broken Circle Breakdown||Won|
- List of Belgian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of submissions to the 86th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Oscars: Belgium Nominates 'The Broken Circle Breakdown' for Foreign Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Oscars: Main nominations 2014". BBC News. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "France's Cesar Awards: 'Me, Myself and Mum' Wins Best Film". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "LUX Prize 2013". European Parliament. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Pressbook - The Broken Circle Breakdown.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "The Broken Circle Breakdown(2012) Soundtracks". IMDb. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "The Broken Circle Breakdown highlights Belgian bluegrass". Bluegrass Today. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- Lodge, Guy (7 January 2014). "2013 Denver Film Critics' Society nominations". HitFix. Hitfix Awards. Archived from the original on 7 January 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "'The Broken Circle Breakdown' Leads European Film Awards Nominations". Deadline Hollywood. PMC. 9 November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE EUROPEAN FILM AND WIN A TRIP TO THE 26th EUROPEAN FILM AWARDS IN BERLIN!". Europeanfilmawards.eu. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "San Diego Film Critics Select Top Films for 2013". San Diego Film Critics Society. 11 December 2013. Archived from the original on 27 April 2017. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "HERE ARE YOUR TFF 2013 AWARD WINNERS". Tribeca Film Festival. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- Tapley, Kristopher (8 December 2013). "'12 Years a Slave' and 'Her' lead the way with Washington D.C. critics nominations". HitFix. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "The Broken Circle Breakdown wins 2013 LUX Prize". European Parliament. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2018.