Brotherhood of Eternal Love
|Founded by||John Griggs|
|Founding location||Orange County, California|
|Criminal activities||Drug use, manufacturing and distribution|
The Brotherhood of Eternal Love was an organization of drug users and distributors that operated from the mid-1960s through the late 1970s in Orange County, California; they were dubbed the Hippie Mafia. They produced and distributed drugs in hopes of starting a "psychedelic revolution" in the United States.
In 1970 The Brotherhood of Eternal Love hired the radical left organization Weather Underground for a fee of $25,000 to help Timothy Leary make his way to Algeria after he escaped from prison, while serving a 5-year sentence for possession of marijuana.
Their activities came to an end on August 5, 1972, when in a drug raid dozens of group members in California, Oregon and Maui were arrested, though all of them were released within months; some who had escaped the raid continued underground or fled abroad. More members were arrested in 1994 and 1996, and the last of them in 2009; he served two months in jail after pleading guilty to a single charge of smuggling hashish. A documentary called Orange Sunshine (named for the LSD they produced) on the organization is on the way, and in 2010 Nicholas Schou published a book on the brotherhood.
- Schou, Nick (Nov 12, 2009). ""Hippie Mafia" Hash Smuggler Arrested". Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Schou, Nick (7 June 2007). "Eternal Sunshine". OC Weekly. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Brian Flanagan (2002). The Weather Underground (mp4). The Free History Project. Event occurs at 0:59:00. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- Rudd, Mark (2009). Underground: My Life with SDS and the Weathermen. New York City: William Morrow and Company. pp. 225–7. ISBN 978-0061472756.
- Schou, Nick (Dec 3, 2009). "Case Closed on "Hippie Mafia" Smugglers". Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Orange Sunshine: The Brotherhood of Eternal Love and Its Quest to Spread Peace, Love, and Acid to the World, Nicholas Schou (Thomas Dunne Books, St. Martin's Press, 2010), ISBN 9780312551834.
- Lords of Acid: How the Brotherhood of Eternal Love Became OCs Hippie Mafia Nick Schou, OC Weekly, Jul 7 2005.