The Buck Pets
The Buck Pets
The Buck Pets (ca. 1989)
|Origin||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Genres||Alternative rock, hardcore punk|
|Years active||1986–1993, 2010|
|Associated acts||Atlas Throat, Mic the Tiger|
|Past members||Andy Thompson|
The Buck Pets were an American alternative rock band formed in the late 1980s in Dallas, Texas. They were clearly influenced by earlier bands such as The Replacements, Buzzcocks and The Jesus and Mary Chain but incorporated better production values and more overt nods to classic rock than their college rock/punk predecessors.
The band seemed to get a degree of support from their record label, Island, for their first two LPs, the hard edged The Buck Pets, and the more melodic follow up Mercurotones. On the eve of the release of Mercurotones, Island was bought by PolyGram- the A&R staff were let go and projects were shelved while the new owners evaluated their new property. Support for The Buck Pets was then almost non-existent.
On April 10, 2010, The Buck Pets reunited for a one night show at the club Trees in the Deep Ellum area of Dallas, Texas and released RARES (and unreleased) a collection of rare and previously unreleased material.
- Tony Alba – drums
- Ian Beach – bass
- Ricky Pearson – drums (To the Quick)
- Chris Savage – guitar, vocals
- Chuck Smith – bass (The Sound of Deep Ellum)
- Andy Thompson – guitar, lead vocals
- The Buck Pets (Island, 1989)
- Mercurotones (Island, 1990)
- To the Quick (Restless, 1993)
- RARES (and unreleased) (Self-published, 2010)
|US Modern Rock|
- D'Agostino, John (April 23, 1991). "COMMENTARY : Colorful Chameleon : Music: Fans that have stuck by as Neil Young changed from one style to another are finally rewarded with his newest effort. He plays the Sports Arena tonight". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Liles, Jeff (February 20, 2009). "Echoes and Reverberations: The Bad Sleep Good or Not At All". Dallas Observer. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Greenman, Ben (July 28, 1993). "Pets Sounds". Miami New Times. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Wilonsky, Robert (April 8, 2010). "The Buck Pets Return For Their Own Reasons". Dallas Observer. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Official website: http://www.buckpets.com/
- Mic The Tiger: https://web.archive.org/web/20100409072015/http://www.micthetiger.com/
- Atlas Throat: http://www.myspace.com/atlasthroat
[[Category:Musical groups established in 1986