This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Jeymes Samuel|
|Genres||Alternative rock, hip hop, pop, R&B, electronica|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, record producer, filmmaker|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
|Labels||Kilburn Lane Music (current)|
Giant Step Records
|Associated acts||Jay Electronica, Mos Def|
Jeymes Samuel also known by his stage name The Bullitts, is a British singer-songwriter, music producer and filmmaker from London, England. Samuel has a cinematic element to his music and has accompanied most of his releases with a short film. His studio album, titled They Die By Dawn & Other Short Stories..., was released in July 2013. The album was supported by the singles "Close Your Eyes" (featuring Lucy Liu and Jay Electronica), "Landspeeder", "Supercool" and "World Inside Your Rainbow". He is the brother of Grammy award-winning musician Seal.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Production discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Life and career
Early life and career beginnings
Jeymes Samuel initially embarked on a career in film making, having shot his first reels at the age of eight. However he began making music at the age of 13. In the year 2000, Samuel released "When It Rains", his debut single in the form of a 12", under his real name on Giant Step Records. On 1 January 2002, in conjunction with Little League Productions, Samuel released The Prequel. Also in 2002, Samuel contributed background vocals on the song "The Proud", from American rapper Talib Kweli's debut album, Quality. In 2004, Samuel wrote "Serenade", for Icelandic singer Emilíana Torrini's 2005 album Fisherman's Woman. Little League Productions would later debut Samuel's new moniker and release his single titled "The Bullitts Theme," in 2007.
In March 2010, Samuel joined Gruff Rhys, Janet Ramus, John Gibbon, Ladonna Harley-Peters, Lucy Randell, Marion Powell, Sharlene Hector, Wayne Hernandez, Wendi Rose and Yvonne Stevens, to form a choir called The Purple, The People, The Plastic Eating People. The choir contributed background vocals on the songs "Some Kind of Nature" (featuring Lou Reed) and "Pirate Jet", from British virtual band Gorillaz's third album, Plastic Beach (2010).
2010–present: They Die By Dawn & Other Short Stories...
In November 2010, named in honor of the Steve McQueen film Bullitt, under the pseudonym The Bullitts, Samuel began uploading "FlixTapes", to his official YouTube channel; a series of videos in which he added new vocals to his favorite movie and television themes. The first episode, titled "Tales of the Unexpected", was released on 14 November 2010. Samuel's lead single from his first studio album, titled "Close Your Eyes", premiered in April 2011, by BBC Radio 1 DJ, Zane Lowe, as "The Hottest Record in the World". The single features narration by American actress Lucy Liu and a verse from American rapper Jay Electronica. Its music video is a re-imagining of the Salvador Dalí and Luis Buñuel film, Un Chien Andalou. In May 2011, the album's second single, titled "Landspeeder", was also aired by Zane Lowe on Radio 1, as "The Hottest Record in the World". "Landspeeder", was later included on the original motion picture soundtrack to the British 2011 slasher film, Demons Never Die.
Samuel released "Weirdo", in July 2011, a short piece starring actor Jesse Williams. In it, two young lovers in paper bag masks spend a day on the streets of London before robbing a newsagents during a declaration of love. For the song "Run and Hide", by Jay Electronica, Samuel directed a tragic film noir in Paris, based around the actress Elisa Wald-Lasowski. Samuel played at The Big Chill music festival on 6 August 2011, performing on the main stage, where he was joined onstage by Lucy Liu, Jay Electronica and actor Idris Elba.
The album's third single, titled "Supercool", was premiered on Lowe's show on 4 October 2011. Its accompanying music video featured Samuel dressed as a homeless individual being harassed by someone filming him against his will; during this he bumps into actress Rosario Dawson, and the pair end up having a dance off on the streets of Soho. In 2011, Samuel wrote "Wonderful Life", alongside Estelle Swaray, for Swaray's third album All of Me (2012). In late 2012, Samuel was handpicked by Baz Luhrmann and Jay-Z to be Executive Music Consultant for the soundtrack to the film The Great Gatsby (2013).
In early 2013, Samuel wrote, directed and scored the short film titled They Die By Dawn, with an all star cast that includes Michael K. Williams, Erykah Badu, Isaiah Washington, Jesse Williams and Rosario Dawson. The film is set in Langston, Oklahoma in 1890 and is a gun-slinging, black cowboy western. Samuel's first album under the moniker The Bullitts, is titled They Die By Dawn & Other Short Stories... and was released on 9 July 2013. The album was produced entirely by himself and features guest appearances from Jay Electronica, Lucy Liu, Mos Def, Rosario Dawson, Doxi Jones and Tori Amos.
|They Die By Dawn & Other Short Stories...||
|"When It Rains"[A]||2000||non-album single|
|"Who Write The Songs"[A]
|"Baby Don't Cry"[A]|
(featuring Kool G Rap)
|"The Myspace Song"[A]||2006||non-album singles|
|"The Bullitts Theme"||2007|
|"Close Your Eyes"
(featuring Lucy Liu and Jay Electronica)
|2011||They Die By Dawn & Other Short Stories...|
|"World Inside Your Rainbow"|
|"When It Rains (Restless Soul Mix)"[A]||2001||Sessions: Volume One||Ron Trent, Felix Hopkins|
|"Who Write The Songs"[A]||2003||Late Night Tales: Sly & Robbie||Sly & Robbie, Canibus|
|"Too Much Drama"[A]||2004||Undercover Cuts||Brooklyn B.L.E.S.S.|
|"Democracy Leaders"[A]||2006||Fight the Power||N/A|
|"Striptease"[A]||Yam Who Revue||Yam Who?|
|"Bullitts Theme"||2007||Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Love Music||N/A|
|"Bulletproof"||Help George Tabb! Vol. 1||N/A|
|"Fade Away"[A]||2009||Loss 4 Wordz||Scratch|
|"Run and Hide"||2017||Act II: Patents of Nobility (The Turn)||Jay Electronica|
- as Jeymes Samuel
Various artists – Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Love Music (2007)
- 08. "Bullitts Theme" (performed by The Bullitts)
Mr Hudson – Straight No Chaser (2009)
- 04. "Straight No Chaser"
- 11. "Everything Is Broken" (featuring Kid Cudi)
The Feeling - Together We Were Made (2011)
- 08. "Mr. Grin"
Jay Electronica – Act II: Patents of Nobility (The Turn) (2015)
- 06. "Dinner at Tiffanys (The Shiny Suit Theory)" (featuring Charlotte Gainsbourg & Jay Z)
- 13. "Run and Hide" (featuring The Bullitts)
- 14. "Ten Thousand Lotus Petals"
|2013||They Die by Dawn||Lobo||Short film|
Writer, director, producer, actor
|2017||JAY-Z: Legacy||Short film|
Writer, director, producer
|2019||The Harder They Fall||Feature film|
Writer, director, producer
- TheBullittsTV (14 November 2010). "THE BULLITTS & PASSION PIT- TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED -- The FlixTape. EPISODE 1" – via YouTube.
- Cochrane, Greg. "Introducing…The Bullitts". Introducing…The Bullitts. BBC. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Hottest Record – The Bullitts – Landspeeder" 3 May 2011, BBC web site
- NME. "NME Bullitts article". The Bullitts to release debut single featuring Jay Electronica and Lucy Liu – video. NME. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "The Bullitts – Weirdo" 8 July 2011, Youtube
- "The Bullitts & Jay Electronica "Run & Hide"" 28 July 2011, Complex web site
- "The Bullitts debut at The Big Chill 2011" 4 August 2011, Virtual Festivals web site
- "Hottest Record – The Bullitts – Supercool" 4 October 2011, BBC web site
- "The Bullitts – Supercool" 4 January 2012, Youtube
- Ramirez, Erika (31 December 2012). "Jay-Z, The Bullitts to Score 'The Great Gatsby'". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- Vena, Jocelyn; Horowitz, Josh (29 April 2013). "Beyonce's 'Back To Black' Helps Make 'The Great Gatsby' A Bit 'Darker'". MTV News. MTV Networks. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Song Premiere: The Bullitts Merges Country to Hip-Hop in 'They Die By Dawn'".
- "They Die By Dawn & Other Short Stories – Album by The Bullitts". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Jay-Z and Seal's Brother Score 'The Great Gatsby'". 2 January 2013.
- "Jeymes Samuel - When It Rains". Discogs.
- "Jeymes Samuel - Who Write The Songs". Discogs.
- "Jeymes Samuel - Baby Don't Cry / Winterfall". Discogs.
- "The Myspace Song – Single by Jeymes Samuel". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "The Bullitts - The Bullitts Theme". Discogs.
- "Close Your Eyes – EP by The Bullitts". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- ""Landspeeder" – Single by The Bullitts". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Supercool – EP by The Bullitts". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- ""World Inside Your Rainbow" – Single by The Bullitts". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Giant Step Records Sessions, Vol. 1 - Ron Trent - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic.
- "Various - Fight The Power". Discogs.
- "Yam Who Revue by Yam Who? on Apple Music". iTunes.
- "Various - Help George Tabb! Vol. 1". Discogs.
- "Loss 4 Wordz by Scratch". iTunes. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Kanye West, Jay-Z, Diddy to appear on Jay Electronica's long-awaited debut album". NME. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 23 August 2012.