The Bulmershe School
|Type||Comprehensive community school|
|Motto||Where everyone matters|
|Department for Education URN||110062 Tables|
|Head teacher||Amanda Woodfin|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Houses||Falcon, Hawk, Hurricane, Spitfire|
|Colour(s)||Yellow, Purple, Blue, Green|
There were 1,335 students on roll at the time of the 2004 OFSTED (Office for Standards in Education) inspection. The majority of the students come from Woodley and East Reading. OFSTED reported that one-third of the student body were from ethnic minority backgrounds, with the largest group being of Pakistani origin. One in six students speaks English as an additional language, which is well above the national average. Bulmershe houses a local education authority learning resource unit for students with learning difficulties. The school has an above-average proportion of students with special educational needs (SEN), comprising a quarter of the student population. OFSTED found that "the most common needs are emotional and behavioural difficulties, though a significant number of students have learning difficulties or autism". In 2012, The Bulmershe School's exam results improved and were better than many other schools in the borough, including The Piggott School and Waingels College.
Building work commenced in 2014 on the construction of a new school hall. In 2015, six classrooms with computer workstations and a new entertainment block were added. The entertainment block includes a new 400-seat auditorium (equipped with state-of-the-art professional audio-visual equipment), a sixth-form centre, meeting rooms, a reception area, and administrative offices.
- "OFSTED Inspection Report - The Bulmershe School" (PDF). OFSTED. November 2004. p. 18. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "OFSTED Inspection Report - The Bulmershe School" (PDF). OFSTED. November 2004. p. 3. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "School opens £3.5m auditorium block". 12 February 2015 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Bulmershe headteacher to move on - The Wokingham Paper". The Wokingham Paper. 2017-05-23. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
- The Bulmershe School website
- The Bulmershe Community Association website
- School overview from Schoolsfinder
- DFES statistics
- Record of success at Bulmershe School[permanent dead link]
- BBC News profile of The Bulmershe School
- 2004 OFSTED report
- 2008 OFSTED report
- 2017 OFSTED report
- Bulmershe Gym Club
- Bulmershe BBC report 2017