The Business Council
The Business Council is the only venue for the world's top CEOs to gather and engage in professional, intellectual, and leadership development. The organization is guided by the belief that the business community's contributions to public discourse and governance are in the interest of the common good of the American people.
Marlene Colucci serves as executive director of The Business Council. Appointed in 2013, Colucci has held leadership positions in public policy at the White House, U.S. Department of Labor, and American Hotel and Lodging Association. She describes the organization as "an important voice for the business community with a high level of personal engagement by its members.”
The Business Council was founded by Secretary of Commerce Daniel C. Roper and investment banker Sidney Weinberg as the Business Advisory Council for the United States Department of Commerce in 1933, under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It formed the Industrial Advisory Board for the National Recovery Administration during the Great Depression. It also established committees to discuss the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Banking Act of 1935 and the Social Security Act.
- 1933: Gerard Swope, General Electric
- 1934: S. Clay Williams, RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company
- 1934–35: Henry P. Kendall, Kendall Company
- 1936: George H. Mead, Mead Corporation
- 1937–39: W. Averell Harriman, Brown Brothers & Co.
- 1940–41: William L. Batt, War Production Board
- 1942–43: R. R. Deupree, Procter & Gamble
- 1944–45: Thomas B. McCabe, Scott Paper Company
- 1946: George M. Humphrey, National Steel Corporation
- 1947–48: John L. Collyer, Goodrich Corporation
- 1949–50: James S. Knowlson, Stewart-Warner
- 1951–52: Robert T. Stevens, JP Stevens & Company
- 1953: John D. Biggers, Libbey-Owens-Ford
- 1954–55: Harold Boeschenstein, Owens Corning
- 1956–57: Eugene Holman, Jersey Standard
- 1958–59: Stephen Bechtel, Jr., Bechtel
- 1960–61: Ralph J. Cordiner, General Electric
- 1961–62: Roger Blough, US Steel
- 1963–64: F. R. Kappel, AT&T
- 1965–66: W.B. Murphy, Campbell Soup Company
- 1967–68: Albert L. Nickerson, Mobil
- 1969–70: Fred J. Borch, General Electric
- 1971–72: William M. Batten, JCPenney
- 1973–74: David Packard, Hewlett-Packard
- 1975–76: Edmund W. Littlefield, General Electric
- 1977–78: John D. deButts, AT&T
- 1979–80: Reginald H. Jones, General Electric
- 1981–82: Walter B. Wriston, Citicorp
- 1983–84: Clifton C. Garvin, Jr., Exxon
- 1985–86: Ruben F. Mettler, TRW
- 1987–88: Stephen Bechtel, Jr., Bechtel
- 1989–90: Roger B. Smith, General Motors
- 1991–92: John F. Welch, Jr., General Electric
- 1993–94: Robert E. Allen, AT&T
- 1995–96: Edgar S. Woolard, Jr., DuPont
- 1997–98: Larry Bossidy, AlliedSignal
- 1999-00: Ralph S. Larsen, Johnson & Johnson
- 2001–02: William T. Esrey, Sprint Corporation
- 2003–04: Charles O. Holliday, Jr., Bank of America
- 2005–06: Jeffrey R. Immelt, General Electric
- 2007–08: W. James McNerney, Jr., Boeing
- 2009–10: James W. Owens, Caterpillar.
- 2011–12: Jamie Dimon, JPMorgan Chase
- 2013–14: Andrew Liveris, Dow Chemical Company
- 2015–16: Jeff Bezos, Amazon
- Ajay Banga, President and CEO, MasterCard
- Jeffrey Bezos, Founder & CEO, Amazon.com
- Aneel Bhusri, Co-Founder & CEO, Workday, Inc.
- James Dimon, Chairman & CEO, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Alex Gorsky, Chairman & CEO, Johnson & Johnson
- Steven A. Kandarian, Chairman, President & CEO, MetLife, Inc.
- Andrew N. Liveris, President, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, The Dow Chemical Company
- Denise Morrison, President & CEO, Campbell Soup Company
- Satya Nadella, Chief Executive Officer, Microsoft Corp.
- Irene Rosenfeld, Chairman & CEO, Mondelez International
- David M. Rubenstein, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, The Carlyle Group
- Fred Smith, CEO, FedEx Corporation
- Sir Martin Sorell, Group Chief Executive, WPP Group plc
- Al Walker, Chairman, President & CEO, Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
- The Business Council, Official website, Background Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine
- Dow Chairman and CEO Andrew Liveris Elected Chairman, The Business Council Archived 2012-10-22 at the Wayback Machine, dow.com, October 19, 2012
- Press Release: The Dow Chemical Company, Dow Chairman and CEO Andrew Liveris Elected Chairman, The Business Council, Yahoo!, October 19, 2012
- Dow Chief To Head National Business Organization Archived 2013-12-19 at the Wayback Machine, WSGW
- "Amazon's Jeff Bezos appointed chairman of Washington-based Business Council". Washington Post. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "VTB brings Bolshoi ballet to Kennedy Center". POLITICO. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "About Us – The Business Council". businesscouncil.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "Colucci to lead Business Council". POLITICO. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "Marlene Colucci-Renna Named Executive Director of the Business Council". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- Barack Obama, Remarks by the President to The Business Council, The White House: Office of the Press Secretary, February 13, 2009
- "KKR & Co. LP: Henry Kravis Elected Chairman of The Business Council – The Wall Street Transcript". The Wall Street Transcript. Retrieved 2017-08-12.