The Business Council
It was founded by Secretary of Commerce Daniel C. Roper and investment banker Sidney Weinberg as the Business Advisory Council for the United States Department of Commerce in 1933, under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It formed the Industrial Advisory Board for the National Recovery Administration during the Great Depression. It also established committees to discuss the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Banking Act of 1935 and the Social Security Act.
- 1933: Gerard Swope, General Electric.
- 1934: S. Clay Williams, R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company.
- 1934-35: Henry P. Kendall, Kendall Company.
- 1936: George H. Mead, Mead Corporation.
- 1937-39: W. Averell Harriman, Brown Bros. & Co..
- 1940-41: William L. Batt, War Production Board.
- 1942-43: R. R. Deupree, Procter & Gamble.
- 1944-45: Thomas B. McCabe, Scott Paper Company.
- 1946: George M. Humphrey, National Steel Corporation.
- 1947-48: John L. Collyer, Goodrich Corporation.
- 1949-50: James S. Knowlson, Stewart-Warner.
- 1951-52: Robert T. Stevens, J.P. Stevens and Company.
- 1953: John D. Biggers, Libbey–Owens–Ford.
- 1954-55: Harold Boeschenstein, Owens Corning.
- 1956-57: Eugene Holman, Jersey Standard.
- 1958-59: Stephen Bechtel, Jr., Bechtel.
- 1960-61: Ralph J. Cordiner, General Electric.
- 1961-62: Roger Blough, U.S. Steel.
- 1963-64: F. R. Kappel, AT&T.
- 1965-66: W.B. Murphy, Campbell Soup Company.
- 1967-68: Albert L. Nickerson, Mobil Oil.
- 1969-70: Fred J. Borch, General Electric.
- 1971-72: William M. Batten, J. C. Penney.
- 1973-74: David Packard, Hewlett-Packard.
- 1975-76: Edmund W. Littlefield, General Electric.
- 1977-78: John D. deButts, AT&T.
- 1979-80: Reginald H. Jones, General Electric.
- 1981-82: Walter B. Wriston, Citicorp.
- 1983-84: Clifton C. Garvin, Jr., Exxon.
- 1985-86: Ruben F. Mettler, TRW Inc..
- 1987-88: Stephen Bechtel, Jr., Betchel.
- 1989-90: Roger B. Smith, General Motors Corporation.
- 1991-92: John F. Welch, Jr., General Electric.
- 1993-94: Robert E. Allen, AT&T.
- 1995-96: Edgar S. Woolard, Jr., DuPont.
- 1997-98: Larry Bossidy, AlliedSignal.
- 1999-00: Ralph S. Larsen, Johnson & Johnson.
- 2001-02: William T. Esrey, Sprint Corporation.
- 2003-04: Charles O. Holliday, Jr., Bank of America.
- 2005-06: Jeffrey R. Immelt, General Electric.
- 2007-08: W. James McNerney, Jr., Boeing.
- 2009-10: James W. Owens, Caterpillar Inc..
- 2011-12: James Dimon, JPMorgan Chase & Co..
- 2013-14: Andrew N. Liveris, The Dow Chemical Company.
- 2015-16: Jeffrey P. Bezos, Amazon.com.
Current Executive Committee
- Ajay Banga, President and CEO, MasterCard
- Steven A. Kandarian, Chairman, President & CEO, MetLife, Inc.
- Ellen J. Kullman, Retired Chair of the Board & CEO, DuPont
- David M. Rubenstein, Co-Founder and Managing Director, The Carlyle Group
- Stephen F. Angel, Chairman, President & CEO, Praxair, Inc.
- James Dimon, Chairman & CEO, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Kenneth Frazier, Chairman, President & CEO, Merck & Co., Inc.
- Greg C. Garland, Chairman & CEO, Phillips 66
- Alex Gorsky, Chairman & CEO, Johnson & Johnson
- Hugh Grant, Chairman & CEO, Monsanto Company
- Henry R. Kravis, Co-Chairman and Co-CEO, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
- Andrew N. Liveris, President, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, The Dow Chemical Company
- James McNerney, Jr., Chairman, The Boeing Company
- Patricia A. Woertz, Retired Chairman & CEO, Archer Daniels Midland Company
- The Business Council, Official website, Background
- Dow Chairman and CEO Andrew Liveris Elected Chairman, The Business Council, dow.com, October 19, 2012
- Press Release: The Dow Chemical Company, Dow Chairman and CEO Andrew Liveris Elected Chairman, The Business Council, Yahoo!, October 19, 2012
- Dow Chief To Head National Business Organization, WSGW
- Barack Obama, Remarks by the President to The Business Council, The White House: Office of the Press Secretary, February 13, 2009