The Cambridge History of China
|Author||John K. Fairbank and Denis C. Twitchett (eds.)|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press|
The Cambridge History of China is an ongoing series of books published by Cambridge University Press (CUP) covering the history of China from the Qin dynasty to the 20th century. The series was conceived by British historian Denis C. Twitchett and American historian John K. Fairbank in the late 1960s, and publication began in 1978. The complete History will contain 15 volumes, with volumes 5, 8, and 9 consisting of two books each.
An independent volume, The Cambridge History of Ancient China (1999), edited by Michael Loewe and Edward L. Shaughnessy, complements the series by covering pre-imperial China. Another series, The Cambridge History of Inner Asia, includes coverage of the conquest dynasties and interactions between Chinese dynasties and Inner Asia. The Cambridge History of Chinese Literature is a two-volume set covering literature.
An unauthorized Chinese translation of volume 7 (Ming dynasty, part 1) was made in 1992 by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. In this version, the map of the Ming empire in the original was replaced by a more extensive map from the Historical Atlas of China, while the other maps were used unchanged.
The volumes of the series are as follows:
- The Ch'in and Han Empires, 221 BC–AD 220 (edited by Denis Twitchett and Michael Loewe), December 1986. ISBN 978-0-521-24327-8.
- (China from 220 to 587, still unpublished)
- Sui and T'ang China, 589–906 AD, Part 1 (edited by Twitchett), September 1979. ISBN 978-0-521-21446-9. This covers the political history of the time.
- Sui and T'ang China, 589–906 AD, Part 2 (still unpublished. This is intended to cover cultural and economic topics related to the Sui and Tang dynasties).
- The Sung Dynasty and its Precursors, 907–1279, Part 1 (edited by Twitchett and Paul Jakov Smith), March 2009. ISBN 978-0-521-81248-1. This part covers the political history of the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms and the Song dynasty.
- Sung China, 960–1279 AD, Part 2 (edited by John Chaffee and Twitchett), March 2015. ISBN 978-0-521-24330-8. This part covers government, economy, law, education, society, and philosophy of the Song dynasty.
- Alien Regimes and Border States, 907–1368 (edited by Twitchett and Herbert Franke), November 1994. ISBN 978-0-521-24331-5. This covers the Khitan Liao dynasty, the Jurchen Jin dynasty, the Tangut Western Xia dynasty, and the Mongol Yuan dynasty.
- The Ming Dynasty, 1368–1644, Part 1 (edited by Frederick W. Mote and Twitchett), February 1988. ISBN 978-0-521-24332-2. This covers the political history of the Ming dynasty.
- The Ming Dynasty, 1368–1644, Part 2 (edited by Twitchett and Mote), January 1998. ISBN 978-0-521-24333-9. This two-book volume covers government, law, foreign relations, economy, culture, and religion of the Ming period.
- The Ch'ing Empire to 1800, Part 1 (edited by Willard J. Peterson), December 2002. ISBN 978-0-521-24334-6. This covers the Manchu conquest of China, and the political history and society of the Qing dynasty from Nurhaci to the Qianlong Emperor.
- The Ch'ing Dynasty to 1800, Part 2 (edited by Peterson) April 2016. ISBN 978-0-521-24335-3. This covers early Qing conquests (Taiwan, Mongolia, Xinjiang, and Tibet) and international relations (Korea, Vietnam, Japan, and maritime Europeans), as well as provincial governance, learning, Taoism, and local elites in the early Qing.
- Late Ch'ing 1800–1911, Part 1 (edited by John K. Fairbank), June 1978. ISBN 978-0-521-21447-6. This covers the political history of the last 111 years of Manchu rule over China. online
- Late Ch'ing 1800–1911, Part 2 (edited by Fairbank and Kwang-Ching Liu), September 1980. ISBN 978-0-521-22029-3. This covers economy, foreign relations, political and social changes, and the revolution movement of the late Qing.
- Republican China, 1912–1949, Part 1 (edited by Fairbank and Twitchett), September 1983. ISBN 978-0-521-23541-9.
- Republican China, 1912–1949, Part 2 (edited by Fairbank and Albert Feuerwerker), July 1986. ISBN 978-0-521-24338-4.
- The People's Republic, Part 1: Emergence of Revolutionary China, 1949–1965 (edited by Roderick MacFarquhar and Fairbank), June 1987. ISBN 978-0-521-24336-0.
- The People's Republic, Part 2: Revolutions Within the Chinese Revolution, 1966–1982 (edited by MacFarquhar and Fairbank), November 1991. ISBN 978-0-521-24337-7.
- "The Cambridge History of China". Cambridge University Press. Retrieved July 14, 2016.
- "The Cambridge History of Ancient China". Cambridge University Press. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- Mote, Frederick W. (2000). "Brief Note: Concerning the Chinese Translation of The Cambridge History of China Volume Seven, Part 1, 'The Ming Dynasty'". Ming Studies. 44 (1): 5–12. doi:10.1179/014703700788763207.