The Cambridge History of Iran
|Author||William B Fisher, Ilya Gershevitch, Ehsan Yarshater, Richard Nelson Frye, John Andrew Boyle, Peter Jackson, Laurence Lockhart, Peter Avery, Gavin Hambly, C P Melville (eds.)|
|Subject||History of Iran|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press|
The Cambridge History of Iran is a multi-volume survey of Iranian history published by Cambridge University Press. The seven volumes cover "the history and historical geography of the land which is present-day Iran, as well as other territories inhabited by peoples of Iranian descent, from prehistoric times up to the present.
The publication started in 1968 and in 1989 the last volume was published. The idea of publishing such a survey of Iranian history and culture was conceived in 1959 by Arthur J. Arberry. According to the scholar Hubert Darke "The series was planned to be not simply a political history of Iran but to survey the culture which has flourished in the Iranian region and this culture’s contribution to the civilization of the world. All aspects of the religious, philosophical, economic, scientific, and artistic elements in Iranian civilization have been studied, but with some emphasis on the geographical and ecological factors that have contributed to its special character."
The series consists of seven volumes. Volume 3 was published in two parts.
The title, editors and the publication date of the series are
- Vol. 1. The Land of Iran, edited by William B. Fisher (1968)
- Vol. 2. The Median and Achaemenian Periods, edited by Ilya Gershevitch (1985)
- Vol. 3. The Seleucid, Parthian and Sasanian Periods, edited by Ehsan Yarshater (1983)
- Vol. 4. From the Arab invasion to the Saljuqs, edited by Richard Nelson Frye (1975)
- Vol. 5. The Saljuq and Mongol Periods, edited by John Andrew Boyle (1968)
- Vol. 6. The Timurid and Safavid Periods, edited by Laurence Lockhart and Peter Jackson (1986)
- Vol. 7. From Nadir Shah to the Islamic Republic, edited by Peter Avery, Gavin R. G. Hambly, and Charles Peter Melville (1990)
- Darke, Hubert. "Cambridge history of Iran". Encyclopaedia Iranica. vol. 4. ISBN 0-939214-78-4.
- Vol. 1. The Land of Iran, OCLC 457145647 (e-book)
- Vol. 2. The Median and Achaemenian Periods, OCLC 440780344 (e-book)
- Vol. 3. The Seleucid, Parthian and Sasanian Periods, Part 1 OCLC 457145655 (e-book), Part 2 OCLC 457145660 (e-book)
- Vol. 4. From the Arab invasion to the Saljuqs, OCLC 457145665 (e-book)
- Vol. 5. The Saljuq and Mongol Periods, OCLC 457145670 (e-book)
- Vol. 6. The Timurid and Safavid Periods, OCLC 457145674 (e-book)
- Vol. 7. From Nadir Shah to the Islamic Republic, OCLC 463547918
- Fisher, William B., Ilya Gershevitch, Ehsan Yarshater, Richard Nelson Frye, John Andrew Boyle et al. (1968-1991). The Cambridge History of Iran. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. OCLC 745412