The Canton Spirituals
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Canton Spirituals are an award-winning gospel recording group and are regarded as pioneers in the genre of traditional gospel music.
Founded in Canton, Mississippi in 1943, the original Canton Spirituals were Reverend Arthur Lee Jackson Sr., Reverend I.S. Watkins, Claude Nichols, Warren G. Ward, Isaac Bolton, Eddie Jackson, Theo Thompson, Roscoe Lucious and founder Harvey Lee Watkins, Sr. (December 5, 1929 – November 16, 1994).
As of 2016[update], the group is fronted by Watkins' son, Harvey Watkins, Jr., and consists of Cornelius Dwayne Watkins, Billy Voss, David Curry, Merlin Lucious, Shannon Lee, Rodrick Jones, and Antoine Porter Sr.
On November 1, 2012, they released a single, Keep Knocking. The album, Keep Knocking was released on December 3, 2013.
The Canton Spirituals garnered a Grammy nomination in 1993 for the album Live in Memphis and were 1997 Stellar Award recipients for "Best Group/Duo of the Year" as well as "Traditional Group of the Year" for the Living the Dream: Live In Washington, DC album. In 1998, the group took home two awards at The American Quartet Awards for "Quartet of the Year" and "Artist of the Year".
- That's My Train Fare Home (1977)
- On the Move (1978)
- I'm Coming Lord (1980)
- We'll See You In Church(1982)
- Everything Is Gonna Be Alright (1983)
- Meet the Same People (On Your Way Down) (1984)
- Mississippi Po' Boy (1985)
- Determined (1987)
- Nobody But Jesus (1990)
- Come Go With Me
- I'll Give It All To You (1990)
- Live in Memphis (1993)
- Live in Memphis II (1995)
- Heavenly Choir (1996)
- Living the Dream: Live In Washington, D.C. (1997)
- The Live Experience 1999 (1999)
- Walking By Faith (2002)
- New Life: Live In Harvey, IL (2004)
- Driven (2007)
- Keep Knocking (2013)
- Harvey Watkins, Jr. (1973–present): lead vocals, background vocals, bass guitar, guitars
- Merlin Lucious (1974–present): bass guitar, background vocals, drums
- David Curry III (2004–present): drums
- Billy Voss (2004–present): keyboards, background vocals
- Shannon Lee (present): keyboards, background vocals
- Rodrick Jones: (present): lead guitar
- Antoine Porter Sr. (2013-Present): rhythm/lead guitar, background vocals
- Harvey Watkins, Sr. (1946–1994): original member, deceased): lead vocals, background vocals
- Jordan Bester (Minister): organ
- "Blackberry Records: The Canton Spirituals". Retrieved 8 February 2013.
|This article on a United States singing group is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|