The Care Bears (TV series)
||This article is incomplete. This is because it is missing information on the series' production. (January 2017)|
|The Care Bears|
|Created by||Linda Denham
|Starring||Billie Mae Richards
|Country of origin||United States
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||60 (list of episodes)|
|Production company(s)||Atkinson Film-Arts (1983 and 1984 pilot/specials)
DIC Entertainment (1985)
LBS Communications (1985)
Mill Creek Entertainment (DiC series) (2013 - Present)
Lionsgate Home Entertainment (Nelvana series) (2002 - Present)
|Original network||United States:
Syndication (DIC episodes, 1985)
ABC (Nelvana series, 1986–1988)
|Audio format||Mono (Dic)
|Original release||September 14, 1985– December 25, 1988|
|Related shows||Care Bears: Adventures in Care-a-lot (2007–2009)|
The Care Bears is an animated television series based on the Care Bears franchise, which aired between 1985 and 1988 in syndication; on the ABC network, The CBN Family Channel from 1988 to 1990, The Family Channel from 1990 to 1997 (DIC episodes only) and from 1990 to 1998 (Nelvana episodes only) in the United States. The 1985 episodes were produced by DIC Entertainment and LBS Communications; the ABC episodes were made by Nelvana under the name The Care Bears Family. This is the only Care Bears series produced by Nelvana; in 2007, Sabella Dern Entertainment produced a revival, Care Bears: Adventures in Care-a-Lot.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (January 2017)|
The Care Bears live in a faraway place up in the clouds called Care-a-Lot, which constitutes a part of the Kingdom of Caring. With the help of the Cousins and their Buddies, they go all around the world on Missions in Caring whilst Evil villains such as Professor Coldheart (DIC episodes), and Lord No Heart (Nelvana episodes), try to thwart their plans.
|Maxine Miller True Heart|
|Pam Hyatt Noble Heart|
|Billie Mae Richards Bright Heart|
|Jim Henshaw Tenderheart|
|Dan Hennessey Brave Heart|
|Melleny Brown Tugs|
|Tracey Moore Cheer|
|Bob Dermer Grumpy|
|Luba Goy Lotsa Heart|
|Susan Roman Champ|
|Pauline Rennie Treat Heart, Grams|
|Chris Wiggins No Heart|
|John Stocker Beastly|
|Terri Hawkes Shreeky, Hugs|
Broadcast and distribution
- First-run syndication (1985–1990)
- Family Channel (1990–1997, DIC episodes only) and (1990–1998, Nelvana episodes only)
- The Disney Channel (October 1, 1990 – 1998)
- Toon Disney (1998–2002)
- Global Television Network (1986–2004)
- YTV (2004-2010)
- Treehouse TV (2011)
- Teletoon Retro (2011–2015)
- TVP1 (24.12.1992–1995, Nelvana episodes only)
- TVN (1998–1999, Nelvana episodes only)
- MiniMini+ (2005–2006, Nelvana episodes only)
All episodes from the DiC series were originally released on DVD in Region 1 between 2004 and 2006 by UAV Entertainment. They released all 22 episodes in 7 volume collections entitled Celebration, Dreamland, Forever Friends, Land of Enchantment, Starry Skies, Tenderheart Tales and Fun in the Sun.
In 2007, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment acquired the rights to the series and re-released all episodes on DVD in 5 volume collections entitled Care-A-Lot Adventures, Forest of Feelings, Magical Moments, * Carousel of Dreams and Sharing in the Sunshine.
On August 26, 2008, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment released Care Bears: Care-A-Lot Collection on DVD in Region 1. The 2-disc set features all 22 episodes of the series (with its original opening and closing titles).
In 2013, Mill Creek Entertainment acquired the rights to the series and subsequently released three volume collections which contain 6 episodes each, on September 10, 2013.
On October 6, 2015, Mill Creek released The Care Bears – The Complete Original Series on DVD in Region 1. The 2-disc set features all 22 episodes of the series.
In Region 1, Lions Gate Entertainment has released many episodes on DVD in various single disc collections from 2004 to 2008. In total, 12 collections have been released, each featuring random episodes from the series.
On October 9, 2012, Lionsgate released Care Bears: The Original Series Collection on DVD in Region 1 for the very first time. The 6-disc set features the majority of episodes from the series (from the previously released discs excluding King of the Moon and Giving Thanks) as well as the bonus feature Care Bears Nutcracker Suite.
In Region 4, Magna Entertainment released all 52 episodes (in chronological order) on DVD in Australia in 2004 in 12 separate volumes.
- Chris Richards Young People, Popular Culture and Education 1441107355 p 111 - 2011 "It may be that there is a distinction here between the power used against No Heart, similar to that used by many other superheroes... "
- Barbara Kruger Remote Control: Power, Cultures, and the World of Appearances 1994 0262611066 "... "in order to punish the Care Bears, a scary villain named No Heart concocts a not unfamiliar scheme — he floods "the Forest of Feelings" and forces its non-Care Bear denizens to join the Care Bears' closed colony."
- The Disney Channel Magazine, Vol. 8, no. 4 (typo in magazine: should be "no. 5"), September/October 1990: pp. 48, 50-51, 56.
- Care Bears: Care-A-Lot Collection
- DiC's Episodes in 'The Complete Original Series' Return to DVD
- Care Bears: The Original Series Collection
- Kruger, Barbara (1994). "March 1987". Remote Control: Power, Cultures, and the World of Appearances. MIT Press. pp. 86–87. ISBN 0-262-61106-6. Retrieved October 1, 2010.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Care Bears (TV series)|