The Carolina Inn
|Location||211 Pittsboro St., Chapel Hill, North Carolina|
|Area||4.5 acres (1.8 ha)|
|Architect||Arthur C. Nash; George Watts Carr; et al.|
|Architectural style||Colonial Revival, Classical Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||99000867|
|Added to NRHP||August 6, 1999|
The Carolina Inn is a hotel listed on the National Register of Historic Places on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Orange County, North Carolina, which opened in 1924. The Carolina Inn is a member of Historic Hotels of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The original section of the hotel was built in 1923-1924 on the site of the chapel that gave the town of Chapel Hill its name. Wings were added in 1939-1940, 1969-1970, and 1995. Each section consists of two stories constructed in red brick topped by a gambrel roof with dormers. The front facade of the original section features a two-story piazza supported by six tall paneled wooden posts and a centrally-placed cupola atop this original block. The building is Colonial Revival in style, with Classical Revival design elements. It was built by alumnus John Sprunt Hill and donated to the university in 1935.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "The Carolina Inn, a Historic Hotels of America member". Historic Hotels of America. Retrieved January 28, 2014.
- Visitor's Guide, UNC Chapel Hill, 2013, accessed 11 Feb 2015.
- Kenneth Joel Zogry (February 1999). "Carolina Inn" (pdf). National Register of Historic Places - Nomination and Inventory. North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 2015-02-01.
- "Carolina Inn added to national register". Chapel Hill, N.C.: University Gazette. 1999-10-27. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- "Our Historic Inn". The Carolina Inn. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-07-08. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- Zogry, Kenneth J. (1999). The University's Living Room: A History of The Carolina Inn. Chapel Hill, N.C.: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. ISBN 0-9676063-0-6.
|This article about a building or structure in North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Orange County, North Carolina on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|