The Cave (2019 Syrian film)
|Directed by||Feras Fayyad|
|Produced by||Sigrid Dyekjær|
|Written by||Alisar Hasan|
|Music by||Matthew Herbert|
|Cinematography||Muhammed Khair Al Shami|
|Edited by||Denniz Göl Bertelsen|
Per K. Kirkegaard
Danish Documentary Production
|Distributed by||National Geographic Documentary Films (United States)|
The Cave (Arabic: الكهف) is a 2019 Syrian-Danish documentary film directed by Feras Fayyad and written by Fayyad and Alisar Hasan. A companion piece to his earlier film Last Men in Aleppo, the film profiles Dr. Amani Ballour, a physician in Ghouta who is operating a makeshift hospital nicknamed "the Cave" during the Syrian Civil War. The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) on September 5, 2019.
In an interview, Fayyad said his purpose in making the film was to create documentary evidence that could be used to seek justice for innocent victims of the civil war. "The film should put people in an uncomfortable position to look through the terrible reality around us," he said.
Reception and nominations
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 97% with an average rating of 8.34/10, based on 62 reviews. The site's consensus states that "A hard-hitting documentary with imagery as powerful as its message, The Cave poses heartbreakingly urgent questions -- and leaves them for the viewer to answer." It also has a score of 83 out of 100 on Metacritic, based on 21 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
- "The Cave (2019)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- "The Cave (2019)". The Numbers. IMDb. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- Brent Lang, "With ‘The Cave,’ ‘Last Men in Aleppo’ Director Feras Fayyad Returns to Syria to Find a Hero". Variety, September 6, 2019.
- Caryn James, "'The Cave': Film Review | TIFF 2019". The Hollywood Reporter, September 5, 2019.
- Tomris Laffley, "Toronto Film Review: ‘The Cave’". Variety, September 5, 2019.
- Mac Cameron (October 28, 2019). "In a bunker hospital in Syria, a director made it 'his mission' to document the plight of innocent civilians". CBC.ca. Retrieved November 1, 2019.
- The Cave (2019), retrieved January 30, 2020
- Jessica Wong, "TIFF 2019: Jojo Rabbit captures TIFF People's Choice Award". CBC News, September 15, 2019.
- "Oscars 2020 nominations: Full list of nominees including Joker, Little Women and Jojo Rabbit". Telegraph. January 13, 2020.