|Type||Hotel, Mall, Residential and Corporate|
|Current tenants||Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts|
|Opening||17 February 2013|
|Cost||PKR 3500 Crore|
|Architectural||200 m (656 ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Developer||Pak Gulf Construction, Al Mahad Group of Companies (Saudi Arabia) and Sardar Builders|
|Number of rooms||500|
The Centaurus is a mixed use real estate development in the city of Islamabad, Pakistan. The project includes a 36-floor hotel, three 23-floor residential and office towers and a five-storey shopping mall.
Designed by British architectural firm WS Atkins, it consists of three skyscrapers, containing corporate offices, residential apartments, and a hotel. Centaurus Mövenpick Hotel is under-construction and is expected to open in the first quarter of 2018.
The estimated cost for building the complex was $350 million USD. The Centaurus Mall is four storeys tall and comprises around 250 shops. Major tenants include Monal Downtown Islamabad, Al-Fatah Store, Scentsation, Khaadi, Gul Ahmed, Charles & Keith, Junaid Jamshed, Hush Puppies, Sputnik Footwear, Adidas, Nike, Hub Jafferjees and International Watch Company. Recently international brands such as Mothercare, Dune, Michael Kors, Accessorize, Monsoon Kids, FunkyFish, Diesel (brand) and a Samsung experience store have been added.
Charging Entry fee controversy
In what it called a move to avoid ‘over-crowding’, Centaurus Mall in a public notice said visitors will have to buy a coupon to enter the mall, which is adjustable against shopping at the mall on the same day. The public notice listed 23 types of people who will not have to purchase the entry coupons. Those exempted include all women and children under 12, senior citizens, lawmakers and executives, diplomats and foreigners, journalists, and lawyers, members of country clubs, doctors, and teachers. Further, the notice said, “famous players of hockey, cricket, football and golf” and “celebrities” do not have to purchase the entry coupon.
- Google maps. "Address of Centaurus". Google maps. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Eastern Star". Atkinsglobal.com. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- Pereira, Nikhil. "Movenpick Hotels set to expand Pakistan operations | HotelierMiddleEast.com". HotelierMiddleEast.com. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- Tore, Iuliia. "Mövenpick Hotel Centaurus Islamabad to open in 2018". Rustourismnews.com. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "Federal capital to have Movenpick Hotel". Thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- Ali Teepu, Imran (14 September 2010). "Centaurus Tower faces uncertain future". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Islamabad's Centaurus Mall starts charging Rs100 entry fee, but only from a select few". The Express Tribune. 4 July 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "About Centaurus Mall". Tech2fetch.com.
- Official website
- "All information about centaurus mall". Mustpk.com. 26 July 2015. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- Sher, Fazel (10 August 2006). "FIA holds probe into 34 mega projects". Pakistantoday.com.pk. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Irfan Raza, Syed (30 September 2010). "Power to Centaurus CDA allocates land for grid station". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- Irfan Raza, Syed (8 August 2011). "FIA probes limitless rise". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Islamabad Pakistan Begins Centaurus Work". Skyscrapernews.com. 10 August 2006. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Faulty policies endanger investment". Dawn (newspaper). 3 October 2010. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "The Centaurus, The Centaurus Mall, The Centaurus Hotel". Business-science-articles.com. 16 May 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012.