The Chariot (Tarot card)
A powerful, princely figure sits in a swift chariot, pulled usually by two sphinxes or horses. There is often a black and white motif, for example one of the steeds may be black and the other white. The figure may be crowned or helmeted, and is winged in some representations. He or she may hold a sword or wand, or other masculine symbol. The Thoth Tarot deck has the figure controlling four different animals, representing the four elements.
- Other names for the card are The Centurion or Victory.
- In the Vikings Tarot this card depicts Thor on his chariot ride across the sky.
- In the X/1999 Tarot version made by CLAMP, The Chariot is Sorata Arisugawa.
- In the Mythic Tarot deck, the Chariot is depicted by Ares.
- In the Wild Wood Tarot deck, the Chariot is represented as an archer with steady eyes and an arrow nocked and ready to strike.
- In the Osho Zen Tarot deck the Chariot is represented by the Awareness major arcana card.
In pop culture
- In The House of the Dead, a light gun game created by Sega, all of the bosses are named after the Major Arcana cards. The first boss of the game is named for The Chariot, and is depicted as a zombie encased in a huge suit of armor.
- In the SNES video game Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, the Chariot tarot card is only in name, as it doesn't have a man riding a chariot, but rather a half-naked god wearing undergarments, a cloak and a helmet and raising a mallet; the god bears some resemblance to Thor, though he is mistakenly called Loki (as a Norse god of mischief rather than the hammer-wielding god), and he can be summoned to attack all strong enemy units based on the strength of the main character when the Tarot card is used in battle. On drawing the Tarot card itself after liberation of one of the towns, it increases the characters' strength by 2 points.
- In JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Jean-Pierre Polnareff's stand, Silver Chariot, is represented by this card.
- Along with other Major Arcana, the Chariot is a playable character in Data East's puzzle video game series, Magical Drop.
- The Chariot card, along with the other Tarot cards of the Major Arcana, appears in the 2011 video game, The Binding of Isaac, and its 2014 remake, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, where they act as consumable items with varying effects.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chariot (Tarot).|
- Chariot cards from tarot.org.il. (Hebrew)