The Chinese Language Institute
|Chinese Language Institute|
The Chinese Language Institute, commonly referred to as CLI, is located in Guilin, Guangxi, China. The institute was founded in 2009 by Robert and Bradford Fried, two American brothers from Vienna, Virginia. The institute was created as a means of teaching Mandarin Chinese language and culture through language immersion.
While working toward a bachelor's degree at Virginia Tech, Robert became frustrated with traditional classroom instruction, so he began self-teaching with the assistance of tutors. When visiting his brother, Bradford, in Guilin in 2007, Robert found that direct interaction with Chinese natives improved his Mandarin faster than traditional learning methods. After graduating from Virginia Tech, Robert partnered with his brother to offer others an opportunity to learn by immersion. They established the Chinese Language Institute as their headquarters. In 2012, Frommer's recommended the Chinese Language Institute as "one of the best places [in China] to work on your Mandarin skills."
CLI is officially affiliated with Guangxi Normal University in Guilin and offers sister courses and transferable academic credits through the university. CLI also partners with Virginia Tech to facilitate the Virginia Tech China Sustainability Initiative.
- CLI Immersion: focuses on Mandarin Chinese language and culture learning through immersion and one-on-one courses.
- CLI Study Tours: take students and teachers on learning tours throughout China and include site visits, language courses, and academic lectures.
- CLI Teach in China: program helps teachers find placement teaching English in local schools.
- CLI Abroad: offers Mandarin Chinese language study for college credit through Guangxi Normal University.
- CLI Online: offers Skype-based Mandarin Chinese language courses.
- MacDonald, Gregg (2011-02-17). "Vienna brothers start language institute in China". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Vienna brothers start company in China". fairfaxtimes.com. 2011-02-08. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Frommer's Travel Guides". Frommers.com. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Virginia Tech Magazine". Vtmagazine.vt.edu. 2011-01-09. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "GSI China Project; Global Sustainability Initiative; Virginia Tech". Gsi.cnre.vt.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Virginia Tech students embrace Chinese culture". CollegiateTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "CLI Chinese Programs". Studycli.org. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "Dreaming in Chinese". connectionnewspapers.com. Retrieved 2012-12-29.
- "Let's learn Chinese". chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved 2012-12-29.
- Official website (English)