The Citadel Bulldogs basketball
|The Citadel Bulldogs|
|Head coach||Duggar Baucom (2nd year)|
|Arena||McAlister Field House
|Student section||McAlister Maniacs/Long Grey Line|
|Colors||Citadel Blue and White
|Conference tournament champions|
The Citadel Bulldogs is the name of the College Basketball team that represents The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina, United States. The program is classified in the NCAA's Division I, and the team competes in the Southern Conference South Division. Former head coach Chuck Driesell was not retained after the 2014–15 season. Duggar Baucom was introduced as head coach on March 30, 2015. Baucom was the head coach at military rival VMI.
The team has never won a regular season or Southern Conference Men's Basketball Tournament championship or participated in the NCAA Tournament. They are one of only four (with Northwestern's first tournament bid in 2017) original Division 1 teams (since 1939) to have never made the NCAA tournament. The team has made one postseason appearance, playing in the 2009 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, falling in the first round to eventual champion Old Dominion. In 1927 the Bulldogs claimed the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association Tournament title, defeating Mercer for their only conference championship.
The Bulldogs play their home games at the on-campus McAlister Field House, a 6,000 seat arena formerly known as The Armory. The arena was heavily renovated in 1989. During the summer of 2011, The Citadel completed additional renovations to the Field House, building a new floor and revamping the Bulldogs locker room. Since the 1989 renovations, the Bulldogs have played before full capacity on three occasions: Duke (1991), South Carolina (1997), and College of Charleston (1999). Like all Citadel athletic teams, the Bulldogs utilize strength and conditioning, medical, and video spaces in Seignious Hall.
- Regan Truesdale - Two-time Southern Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Year
- Art Musselman - played in the shadow of Jerry West for three years
- Pat Conroy - author famous, in part, for chronicling his life as a Citadel basketball player in the novels My Losing Season and The Lords of Discipline.
The Citadel began the Honored Jerseys in 2009 with Les Robinson, and have honored one jersey per year since. Jake Burrows' jersey was honored most recently, on January 28, 2012.
Below is a list of all coaches at The Citadel and their records through the 2014–15 season.
|Not Available||1900–01||0||1||No Conference|
|J. G. Briggs||1912–13||2||3|
|C. F. Myers||1918–25||52||27||7||9|
|Ben Clemons||1941–42, 43–44||4||5||2||8|
The primary Bulldog rivals, as in other sports, are VMI, Furman, and College of Charleston. The Citadel also has historical rivalries with other schools within the state. The Bulldogs records versus each rival are listed below, through the 2013–14 season.
Records vs rivals
|College of Charleston||39||53||.424||2009–10|
Records vs conference rivals
- Excludes Furman and VMI, listed above
- East Tennessee State, Mercer and VMI become SoCon members in basketball for the 2014 season. Appalachian State, Davidson, Elon, and Georgia Southern will no longer be SoCon members in men's basketball beginning in 2014.
|East Tennessee State||16||38||.296||2014–15|
Records vs in-state rivals
- Division 1, non-SoCon only
|South Carolina State||8||3||.727||2010–11|
|South Carolina Upstate||2||0||1.000||1980–81|
- 1926–27 The Citadel Bulldogs basketball team - first and only Conference Tournament championship
- 1966–67 The Citadel Bulldogs basketball team - Chronicled in Pat Conroy's My Losing Season
- 1978–79 The Citadel Bulldogs basketball team - first 20 win season
- 2008–09 The Citadel Bulldogs basketball team - second 20 win season; first postseason appearance
- "Brand Toolbox: Colors - The Citadel - Charleston, SC". Citadel.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- "Driesell's Contract not Renewed by The Citadel". The Citadel Athletics. March 9, 2015. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- "Citadel names Duggar Baucom men's head basketball coach". The Citadel. March 30, 2015. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Kevin Bilodeau (March 30, 2015). "The Citadel names VMI's Duggar Baucom as basketball coach". Charleston, SC: WCSC-TV. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- John Feinstein (February 29, 2016). "At The Citadel, hoping to outrun history, NCAA tournament drought". Washington Post. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- "Schools that have never made the NCAA Tournament — the 2017 edition". The Sports Arsenal. February 26, 2017. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- 2011-12 The Citadel Basketball Media Guide. The Citadel. p. 166. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- "The Citadel Basketball Locker Room Renovations". citadelsports.com. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- 2011-12 Citadel Basketball Media Guide. Citadel Athletics. p. 20. Retrieved May 7, 2016.
- "The Citadel to Honor Jake Burrows' Jersey No. 3 with a Banner in McAlister Field House". citadelsports.com. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- 2011-12 The Citadel Basketball Media Guide. The Citadel. p. 99. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- 2013-14 The Citadel Basketball Fact Book (PDF). The Citadel. pp. 110–122. Retrieved March 9, 2014.