The City Bank
|Type||Public Limited Company|
|Industry||Banking, financial services|
|Founded||28 March 1983|
|Founder||Mr. Monowar Ali, Mr. Ibrahim Mia (Late), Mr. Abdul Hadi (Late), Mr. M.A. Hashem (Late), Mr. Anwar Hossain, Mr. Abdul Barik Choudhury (Late), Mr. Deen Mohammad, Mr. A.B.M. Feroz, Mr. Md. Ali Hossain, Mr. Azizul Haque Chowdhury, Mr. N.A. Chowdhury (Late)|
|Headquarters||136 Gulshan Avenue, Circle 2, Gulshan, |
Number of locations
|132 (2021)|
|Mashrur Arefin (CEO)|
|Products||Retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, mortgage loans, private banking, wealth management, credit cards, finance and insurance|
Number of employees
|4,356 (2021)|
The bank provides products and services in retail banking, corporate finance, SME Banking, women banking, digital banking, asset management, equity brokerage, and security. It has 132 branches. The bank is a licensee to issue Visa and MasterCard Debit and Credit Cards and it is the sole licensee of American Express Cards in Bangladesh. The bank is responsible for all operations supporting the issuing of the new credit cards, including billing and accounting, customer service, credit management, and charge authorizations, as well as marketing for American Express cards in Bangladesh.
The bank is a real-time online bank, having its branches, SME/Agri branches spread across Bangladesh along with a full-fledged Islami Banking branch.
The Managing Director & CEO of the bank is Mashrur Arefin.
It is a first-generation private commercial bank and it is one of the oldest commercial banks in the country. Then known as "The City Bank Limited", its operations were started on 28 March 1983 by 12 local businessmen of the country. Those directors commenced the journey with only BDT 34 Million worth of Capital, which now is a respectable BDT 3.3 Billion as capital & reserve.   The City Bank Limited opened its first branch in B. B. Avenue Branch in Dhaka. In 1986, The City Bank Limited was listed on the Dhaka Stock Exchange and in 1995 it was listed on Chittagong Stock Exchange. City Bank has gone international establishing 10 branches and 1 representative office in Malaysia in 2013 and one subsidiary office in Hong Kong in 2019. International Finance Corporation solely has invested BDT 1.31 Billion, attaining a 5% share of City Bank. 
On the 25th Anniversary in 2008, The City Bank Limited revamped its image and services. This includes the launch of a new logo, launched American Express credit cards, brokerage business, and City Wallet (SMS Banking) service. The name of the bank was simplified to "City Bank" from its earlier "The City Bank Limited". The new logo, depicting a red and white checkered box kite, was launched in July 2008.
The following awards were received by the bank:
- Best Bank in Bangladesh – 2018 FinanceAsia Country Awards for Achievement
- Best Investment Bank in Bangladesh – 2018 FinanceAsia Country Awards for Achievement
- Best Consumer Digital Bank in Bangladesh 2018 – Global Finance
- Best Bank for Premium Services 2018 by Asiamoney
- "Management Committee". The City Bank Limited. Retrieved 11 November 2020.
- "Banks". Bangladesh Bank. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Who We are". The City Bank Limited. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "City Bank and American Express celebrates 10 years in Bangladesh". The City Bank Limited. Retrieved 19 November 2020.
- "Management Committee". The City Bank Limited. Retrieved 19 November 2020.
- "The City Bank Limited". Bangladesh Institute of Bank Management. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "City Bank :: making sense of money". The City Bank. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "City Bank Limited, The". Banglapedia. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "BSEC approves City Bank's Tk300 crore bond". Dhaka Tribune. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "THE CITY BANK LIMITED". Chittagong Stock Exchange. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "BB allows City Bank to sell 5pc shares to International Finance Corporation". New Age. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "The City Bank Ltd". The City Bank. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "City Bank receives FinanceAsia Best Bank & Best Investment Bank award". Prothom Alo. 12 August 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "City Bank again named 'Best Consumer Digital Bank in Bangladesh 2018'". The Financial Express. 1 December 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "City Bank wins Asiamoney 'Best Bank for Premium Services' award again". Prothom Alo. 31 March 2019. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
|This article about a Bangladeshi organisation is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|