The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy
Title page of the Grosse Illustrierte Phaidon-Ausgabe
|Original title||Die Cultur a der Renaissance in Italien|
|Translator||S. G. C. Middlemore|
|a Kultur in modern German.|
The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy (German: Die Cultur der Renaissance in Italien) is an 1860 work on the Italian Renaissance by Swiss historian Jacob Burckhardt. Together with his History of the Renaissance in Italy (Die Geschichte der Renaissance in Italien; 1867) it is counted among the classics of Renaissance historiography.
An English translation was produced by S.G.C. Middlemore in two volumes, London 1878. Its scholarly judgements are considered to have been largely justified by subsequent research according to historians including Desmond Seward and art historians such as Kenneth Clark.
The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy is divided into six parts:
- Part One: The State as a Work of Art
- Part Two: The Development of the Individual
- Part Three: The Revival of Antiquity
- Part Four: The Discovery of the World and of Man
- Part Five: Society and Festivals
- Part Six: Morality and Religion
- 1878. The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy.
- 1990. The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy. Penguin Classics. ISBN 0-14-044534-X
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Danson Brown, Richard (2000). "From Burckhardt to Greenblatt: New historicisms and old". In Whitlock, Keith (ed.). The Renaissance in Europe : a reader. New Haven: Yale University Press in association with The OpenUniversity. pp. 4–11. ISBN 9780300082234.
- Geddes, Dan (11 November 2000). ""The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy" by Jacob Burckhardt". The Satirist. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- Hinde, John R. (2000). Jacob Burckhardt and the crisis of modernity. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press. ISBN 0773510273.
- Jones, Jonathan (9 July 2010). "Jacob Burckhardt: The Renaissance revisited". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
|This article about a non-fiction book on Italian history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a book on architecture or urbanism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|