The Clearwater School
|The Clearwater School|
1510 196th St SE, Bothell, Washington, United States
|Age range||4 - 19|
|Enrollment||50 (As of 2018[update])|
|Campus size||3.4 acres (14,000 m2)|
|Governance||School Meeting (democratic, vote by students and staff)|
Clearwater is a democratic school where students create the rules and policies that affect the entire school. The educational philosophy is similar to unschooling in that student-chosen activities are the primary means of learning.
Clearwater students explore their own interests at their own pace. Students are not segregated by age and are free to determine how they spend their time. The school has no assignments, no grades, and no classes unless students organize them.
The school's campus consists of five buildings on 3.4 acres and includes a kitchen, an art room, a music room, a theater, a computer room, an office, a library, an active room, and quiet areas. The school also has a play yard, and North Creek flows through the campus. 
The democratic structure of the school gives students a direct say in how the school is managed. Students and staff members each have a vote in School Meeting, where rules and policies are created, and in Judicial Committee, where rules are enforced.
The adults at Clearwater are called staff, to distinguish their role from the role of traditional teachers. Staff members do not tell students how they should spend their time; instead they play, encourage, and learn alongside students.
- "20+ years of learning". The Clearwater School. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- "Education Model". The Clearwater School. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- "No assignments. No tests. No grades. It’s “no problem” for Bothell school". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- "Our Campus". The Clearwater School. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- "The Clearwater School: Clearwater Students Work for Salmon". blog.clearwaterschool.com. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- "The Clearwater School | Residential | Snohomish County PUD". snopud.com. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- "How it works". The Clearwater School. Retrieved 2018-01-20.