The Client (TV series)
Promotional poster for series
|Genre||Drama, legal thriller|
|Created by||John Grisham|
|Written by||Judith Paige Mitchell
|Directed by||Helaine Head
Michael W. Watkins
|Theme music composer||Steven Graziano
Dino A. Moriana
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Executive producer(s)||Judith Paige Mitchell
|Editor(s)||Robert L. Sinise
M. Edward Salier
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Michael Filerman Productions
Judith Paige Mitchell Productions
Warner Bros. Television
|Original release||September 17, 1995– April 16, 1996|
The Client (also referred to as John Grisham's The Client) is an American television series that was broadcast on CBS. It aired for one season, premiering with a two-hour movie pilot on September 17, 1995, and airing new episodes through April 16, 1996. The series was based on the 1994 film The Client, itself adapted from the 1993 John Grisham novel also titled The Client. It starred JoBeth Williams, John Heard, and Polly Holliday in the roles created in the film by Susan Sarandon, Tommy Lee Jones, and Micole Mercurio, respectively.
The leads of the series were played by JoBeth Williams as Reggie Love, and John Heard as Roy Foltrigg. As series regulars, Polly Holliday as Big Momma and David Barry Gray as Clint McGuire are the only other characters to appear in all 20 episodes.
- JoBeth Williams as Reggie Love
- John Heard as Roy Foltrigg
- Polly Holliday as Momma Love
- David Barry Gray as Clint McGuire
- Ossie Davis as Judge Harry Roosevelt (13 episodes, 1995–96)
Besides Micole Mercurio, who played Big Momma in the film and guest-starred in the fourteenth episode, Winning, as Naomi, the only other actor to appear in both the series and film was Ossie Davis. His portrayal of Judge Harry Roosevelt in the film, led him to recreate that part in 13 of the 20 first season episodes of the series.
The following actors were considered recurring, with many of them portraying characters already created in the book and/or movie:
- Valerie Mahaffey as Ellie Foltrigg (4 episodes, 1995–96)
- Mac Davis as Waldo Gaines (3 episodes 1995–96)
- David Michael Mullins as Lewis Maddox (7 episodes, 1995–96)
- Burke Moses as Jackson Love (6 episodes, 1995–96)
- William Converse-Roberts as Dr. Gus Cardoni (6 episodes, 1995–96)
- Derek McGrath as Arnie (4 episodes, 1996)
- Thom Barry as Judge Waite-Barkley (4 episodes, 1996)
- Brixton Karnes as Officer Brill (4 episodes, 1995–96)
- Harry Lennix as Daniel Holbrook (3 episodes, 1995–96)
- Emilio Borelli as Nick (3 episodes, 1996)
- Allen Williams as Howard Straithe (3 episodes, 1995–96)
- Timothy Carhart as Walon Clark (3 episodes, 1995)
- Emmanuelle Bach as Nicole (3 episodes, 1995–96)
- Ray McKinnon as Lenny Barlow (3 episodes, 1995)
While the full series is not yet available on DVD or Blu-ray, the 1995 pilot episode of the series was included as a bonus feature on the 2013 Blu-ray release of the 1994 film.
- Bruce Fretts (June 9, 1995). "CBS Fall Television Preview". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- Todd Everett (September 15, 1995). "Review: 'John Grisham's the Client'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "'Client'-Ele". Variety. March 12, 1995. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "JoBeth Williams' 'THE CLIENT' begins encore run on TNT". The Houston Chronicle. March 14, 1999. Archived from the original on 2012-07-09.
- "The Client (Blu-ray)". WalMart.