The Closest Thing to Crazy
|"The Closest Thing to Crazy"|
|Single by Katie Melua|
|from the album Call Off the Search|
|Released||1 December 2003|
|Katie Melua singles chronology|
"The Closest Thing to Crazy" is the debut single of Georgia-born singer Katie Melua. It is featured on her hugely successful album, Call Off the Search. The song was written as part of the musical Men Who March Away, and appeared first in 1995 on Mike Batt's album Arabesque.
The single was originally due out in January 2004, but was released a month early in an attempt by Terry Wogan to make it that year’s Christmas number one in the United Kingdom, but it stalled at number 10 on the UK Singles Chart. However, owing to the success of the album reaching number one, the song climbed back into the top 20 during January and February, and resulted in obtaining Melua's first nomination for the annual Record of the Year prize on ITV1. She was to be nominated again at the ceremony the following year for "Nine Million Bicycles", but lost out to Busted and Westlife respectively. She did, however, finish in the top five of voting for both years. At the end of 2004, due to its longevity on the UK chart, the song came in at number 77 on the year-end chart, making it the lowest-charting song to finish within the top 100 for that year.
Composition and lyrics
The lyrics of the song take the form of a series of rhetorical questions, describing the contradictory emotions of being in love. It appears[weasel words] that the object of the singer's love treats the singer unkindly, and may not return the emotion.
- "Closest Thing to Crazy" (Mike Batt)
- "Downstairs to the Sun" (Katie Melua)
- "Thank You, Stars" (Mike Batt)
The enhanced CD had the video of "The Closest Thing to Crazy".
- Katie Melua - guitar, vocals
- Mike Batt - organ, piano, conductor
- Jim Cregan - guitar
- Tim Harries - bass
- Irish Film Orchestra - orchestra
- Michael Kruk - drums
- Alan Smale - leader
- Chris Spedding - guitar
- Henry Spinetti – drums
- Mike Batt – producer
- Steve Sale – engineer
- Mike Batt – arranger
- "Katie Melua: Closest Thing To Crazy Sheet Music". sheetmusicdirect.com. © Copyright 1992 Dramitico Music Publishing Ltd & Sony/ATV Music Publishing (UK) Ltd.
- Mike, Batt. "Katie Melua "The Closest Thing To Crazy" Sheet Music (Easy Piano) (Piano Solo) in F Major - Download & Print". Musicnotes.com.
- "Australian-charts.com – Katie Melua – The Closest Thing to Crazy". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Katie Melua – The Closest Thing to Crazy". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Chart Track: Week 09, 2004". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Katie Melua – The Closest Thing to Crazy" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Katie Melua – The Closest Thing to Crazy". VG-lista.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company.
- "The Official UK Singles Chart 2004" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved 20 May 2018.