The Closest Thing to Crazy
|"The Closest Thing to Crazy"|
|Single by Katie Melua|
|from the album Call Off the Search|
|Released||1 December 2003|
|Katie Melua singles chronology|
"The Closest Thing to Crazy" is the debut single of Georgia-born singer Katie Melua. It is featured on her hugely successful album, Call Off the Search. The song appeared first in 1995 on Mike Batt's album Arabesque.
The single was originally due out in January 2004, but was released a month early in an attempt by Terry Wogan to make it that year’s Christmas number one in the UK. The single reached only number ten in the UK charts. However, owing to the success of the album reaching number one, the song climbed back into the top 20 during the January and February period, and resulted in obtaining Katie's first nomination for the annual The Record of the Year prize on ITV1. She was to be nominated again at the ceremony the following year for Nine Million Bicycles, but lost out to Busted and Westlife respectively. She did however finish in the top 5 of voting for both years.
- "Closest Thing to Crazy" (Mike Batt)
- "Downstairs to the Sun" (Katie Melua)
- "Thank You, Stars" (Mike Batt)
The enhanced CD had the video of "The Closest Thing to Crazy".
- Katie Melua - guitar, vocals
- Mike Batt - organ, piano, conductor
- Jim Cregan - guitar
- Tim Harries - bass
- Irish Film Orchestra - orchestra
- Michael Kruk - drums
- Alan Smale - leader
- Chris Spedding - guitar
- Henry Spinetti – drums
- Producer: Mike Batt
- Engineer: Steve Sale
- Arranger: Mike Batt
The lyrics of the song take the form of a series of rhetorical questions, describing the contradictory emotions of being in love. It appears that the object of the singer's love treats the singer unkindly, and may not return the emotion.
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||41|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||10|
- "Katie Melua: Closest Thing To Crazy Sheet Music". sheetmusicdirect.com. © Copyright 1992 Dramitico Music Publishing Ltd & Sony/ATV Music Publishing (UK) Ltd.
- [musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0057466 musicnotes.com "The Closest Thing To Crazy" Katie Melua Digital Sheet Music]
- "Australian-charts.com – Katie Melua – The Closest Thing to Crazy". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Chart Track: Week 09, 2004". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Katie Melua – The Closest Thing to Crazy" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Katie Melua – The Closest Thing to Crazy". VG-lista.
- "Katie Melua: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.