The Clown Murders
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Clown Murders|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Martyn Burke|
|Produced by||Christopher Dalton, Stephen Stohn|
|Written by||Martyn Burke|
|Music by||John Mills-Cockell|
|Distributed by||Trans World Entertainment|
The Clown Murders is a 1976 Canadian horror film directed by Martyn Burke. It was one of the earliest films in which John Candy appears. The Executive Producer was Stephen Stohn, who now produces the Degrassi: The Next Generation TV series.
Four friends hatch a scheme to dress up like clowns on Halloween and kidnap a businessman’s wife (Susan Keller) to prevent him from closing a land deal. Though the scheme is intended as a prank, it takes an ugly turn when real violence is used at the kidnapping. As the kidnappers deal with the fallout from their actions, it becomes apparent that an outside party (also in a clown costume) is stalking them. 
- Stephen Young as Charlie
- Susan Keller as Alison
- Lawrence Dane as Philip
- John Candy as Ollie
- Gary Reineke as Rosie
- John Bayliss as Peter
- Al Waxman as Police Sergeant
- William Osler as Harrison
- Philip Craig as Tom
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2018)
Kurt Dahlke from DVD Talk gave the film 2.5 out of 5 stars, writing, "The Clown Murders is almost worth a rent for Canadian Cinema scholars or rabid fans of '70s sleazo-crime dramas in this incarnation, but it stinks so much as is that it's really hard to go out on that limb." Todd Martin from HorrorNews.net gave the film a negative review, calling it "mind-numbingly boring" and also criticized the film's lack of scares. Terror Trap awarded the film 1/4 stars, stating that the film "doesn't have the requisite firepower - either in terms of its writing, or its ability to generate dramatic tension - to make for a worthwhile watch."
- Cresley, Stephen (October 1976). "The Clown Murders (review)". Cinema Canada (31): 54.
- "Amazon.com: The Clown Murders: Stephen Young, Susan Keller, Lawrence Dane, John Candy, Gary Reineke, John Bayliss, Al Waxman, Michael Magee, Cec Linder, William Osler, Philip Craig, Dan Boltman, Dennis Miller, Martyn Burke, Alan Collins, Ronald Sanders, Christopher Dalton, John M. Eckert, Stephen Stohn: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. Amazon. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Dahlke, Kurt. "The Clown Murders : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video". DVD Talk.com. Kurt Dahlke. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Martin, Todd. "Film Review: The Clown Murders (1976)". HorrorNews.net. Todd Martin. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- "The Clown Murders (1976)". TerrorTrap.com. Terror Trap. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
|This article related to a Canadian film of the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 1970s horror film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|