Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction
|Pokémon the Movie:
Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction
Japanese theatrical poster
|Hepburn||Pokemon Za Mūbī Ekkusu Wai "Hakai no Mayu to Dianshī"|
|Literally||Pokémon the Movie XY: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction|
|Directed by||Kunihiko Yuyama|
|Produced by||Takemoto Mori
|Screenplay by||Hideki Sonoda|
|Based on||Pokémon: XY
|Narrated by||Unshō Ishizuka|
|Music by||Shinji Miyazaki|
¥2.91 billion$28.2 million
Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction (ポケモン・ザ・ムービーXY 「破壊の繭とディアンシー」 Pokemon Za Mūbī Ekkusu Wai "Hakai no Mayu to Dianshī"?, lit. "Pokémon the Movie XY: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction") is a 2014 Japanese anime film directed by Kunihiko Yuyama. It is the 17th Pokémon anime movie and the first movie in the XY Series. The movie was released in Japanese theaters on July 19, 2014. The movie features the Jewel Pokémon, Diancie, alongside Xerneas, the Life Pokémon, and Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon. It premiered in Australia and in New Zealand in theaters on November 8, 2014. The movie aired on Cartoon Network in the United States on November 8, 2014. It was released on DVD and Blu-ray in Japan on December 17, 2014. It was also released on DVD format in the United States on February 17, 2015.
In a country called "Diamond Domain" (ダイヤモンド鉱国 Daiyamondo Kōkoku?)[Note 1] lies the powerful Heart Diamond (聖なるダイヤ Seinaru Daiya?, "Holy Diamond"). The Heart Diamond served as the kingdom's source of energy. It also maintained the Ore Country for centuries. Many Carbink live in the Diamond Domain. This includes their princess known as the Jewel Pokémon named Diancie. Diancie created the Heart Diamond. Diancie no longer has the power to control the Heart Diamond. Diancie's country is falling into chaos as a result of losing control of the Heart Diamond.
One day, Diancie meets with Ash and his friends. Diancie asks them to go on a journey to find the Life Pokémon named Xerneas in order to restore the Heart Diamond. Standing in their way is the Pokémon of Destruction named Yveltal who once stole all of the life in the Kalos Region. During their journey, they are attacked by Team Rocket and the jewel thieves named Marilyn Flame and Ninja Riot. Diancie and Ash and his friends are aided by Millis Steel and her father named Argus. Millis and Argus Steel are thieves that want to use Diancie's power. They also encounter the Cocoon Of Destruction who is known as Yveltal.
The movie was first announced after the theatrical release of Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened, with a short trailer shown. Later in December 2013, the January 2014 issue of CoroCoro Comic confirmed the title of the movie, alongside the official website's announcement with the official trailer featured on the official movie website. The first poster of the movie shows all the confirmed Mega Evolutions of some Pokémon in Pokémon X and Y. The February issue of CoroCoro states that the movie will revolve around the "Magnificent Battle" between Xerneas and Yveltal as well as the hidden meaning to the title, related to the Destruction Pokémon. It also notes that many Legendary Pokémon and several Mega Evolutions will appear in the film.
The Cocoon of Destruction was shown alongside the Pikachu Short Pikachu, What's This Key? (ピカチュウ、これなんのカギ？ Pikachū, Kore Nan no Kagi??) on which will feature the new Pokémon Klefki. The magazine also reveals that it will also feature Jirachi, Victini, Manaphy, and Darkrai as special guests.
The film made its English language debut on November 8, 2014 on Cartoon Network in the United States, and in theaters in Australia and New Zealand. In addition, a prequel to the movie, titled Diancie: Princess of the Diamond Domain made its debut on the American Pokémon Trading Card Game website on November 5, 2014 with Carbink, Pangoro, and an Ariados.
The film's official setting was based on Canada, with locations include the city of Ottawa, the Rideau Canal, the town of Merrickville, Skydeck Tower, the Thousand Islands of Saint Lawrence River, the city of Toronto, Quebec and the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. The castle from the opening theme is the Château Frontenac and the fight occurs on Terrace Dufferin. Director Yuyama stated that it is the first time since Pokémon the Movie: Black—Victini and Reshiram and White—Victini and Zekrom that he and his crew traveled to a foreign country for inspiration.
|Character||Voice Actor (Japanese)||Voice Actor (English)|
|Ash Ketchum||Rica Matsumoto||Sarah Natochenny|
|Serena||Mayuki Makiguchi||Haven Burton-Paschall|
|Clemont||Yūki Kaji||Michael Liscio Jr.|
|Bonnie||Mariya Ise||Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld|
|Jessie||Megumi Hayashibara||Michelle Knotz|
|James||Shin-ichiro Miki||Jimmy Zoppi|
|Narrator||Unshō Ishizuka||Rodger Parsons|
- Diancie (ディアンシー Dianshī?): Known as the Jewel Pokémon, Diancie is the princess of the Diamond Domain, home to Carbink that keep it peaceful as well the Heart Diamond that keeps it safe from outsiders. However, Diancie is growing weak, as is the Heart Diamond. She seeks out Ash and his friends to help her find the Life Pokémon Xerneas to restore her life energy, but on the way they are attacked by the Destruction Pokémon Yveltal. Diancie is voiced by Marika Matsumoto in the original Japanese version and by Caitlin Glass in the English dub.
- Argus Steel (アルガス・スティール Argus Steel?): The father of Millis Steel. A man who loves chocolate and owns a blimp. He wants to use Diancie's power to create diamonds. He is voiced by Reiji Nakagawa in Japanese and by Pete Zarustica in English.
- Millis Steel (ミリス・スティール Millis Steel?): A travelling trainer whose Pokémon is Chesnaught. She and her father help rescue Diancie only to reveal they want to use her power to their advantage and they only rescued her so that Ash and his friends could help her to make real diamonds and then they could kidnap her. She is voiced by Shōko Nakagawa in Japanese and Brittney Lee Hamilton in English.
- Marilyn Flame (マリリン・フレーム Marilyn Flame?) and Ninja Riot (ニンジャ・ライオット Ninja Riot?): A pair of jewel thieves who attack Diancie. Director Kunihiko Yuyama stated that they would be more lighthearted than previous movie villains, using interactions and exchanges to provide humor. Yuyama also stated that Marilyn Flame was designed with "more sex appeal than any earlier character, to give the adults a little bonus". Marilyn Flame's partner Pokémon is Delphox while Ninja Riot's is Greninja. Marilyn Flame and Ninja Riot are voiced by Rika Adachi and Kōichi Yamadera, respectively. Their respective English voice actors are Lianne Marie Dobbs and Marc Thompson.
- Kōkoku (鉱国?) combines the word for ore (鉱?, aragane in kun'yomi and kō in on'yomi) and country (国 koku?). There are various words that are also read as kōkoku: duchy/principality (公国 kōkoku?), empire (皇国 kōkoku?, usually referring to the Empire of Japan), marquisate (侯国 kōkoku?, also used for principality), and prosperous country (興国 kōkoku?, usually referring to the Kōkoku era of Japanese history).
- "POCKET MONSTER THE MOVIE WY 2014". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- "1st Pokémon XY Film's Teaser Confirms July 19 Opening". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "2014年夏公開！ ポケモン映画、新シリーズ突入!!｜ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト". Pokemon.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "More Details Revealed for 1st Pokémon XY Film - News". Anime News Network. 2014-01-09. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "電撃 - 今夏のポケモン映画では特別前売券のプレゼントポケモンが投票で決定！ 対象のポケモンはジラーチ、マナフィ、ダークライ、ビクティニ". Dengekionline.com. 2014-01-15. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "Pokémon XY Movie Prequel". Pokemon.com. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- "ロケハンレポート | ポケモン映画公式サイト「破壊の繭とディアンシー」同時上映「ピカチュウ、これなんのカギ？」". Pokemon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "幻のポケモン「ディアンシー」特集｜ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト". Pokemon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "新しい幻のポケモンが映画に登場！その名も『ディアンシー』 | ポケモン映画公式サイト「破壊の繭とディアンシー」同時上映「ピカチュウ、これなんのカギ？」". Pokemon-movie.jp. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "湯山監督インタビュー1 | ポケモン映画公式サイト「破壊の繭とディアンシー」同時上映「ピカチュウ、これなんのカギ？」". Pokemon-movie.jp. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "「ポケモン第一世代」SCANDAL、映画主題歌起用に感激". Oricon. Retrieved April 11, 2014.