The Collection (TV series)
|Genre||Historical period drama|
|Created by||Oliver Goldstick|
|Country of origin|
|Running time||52-60 minutes|
|Original network||Amazon Video|
|Original release||September 2 –|
October 21, 2016
The Collection is a web-television drama series. The series, co-produced by Amazon Studios, BBC Worldwide's Lookout Point, Federation Entertainment and France Télévisions, premiered on 2 September 2016.
The eight-part series was filmed in Wales, France and Pinewood Studios in the first half of 2016 and marked the first time a continental-European public national broadcaster has collaborated with a major subscription video on demand platform, a global distributor and a British production company, on an English-language drama.
The series focuses on brothers Paul and Claude Sabine at their family's Paris fashion house. Around them, the city is emerging from the Occupation of World War II. The charming and outgoing Paul has the business savvy of the two brothers. Claude is the artistic talent, but also introverted, misanthropic and homosexual.
Paul seeks to stake a claim in the top tiers of the Paris fashion scene as the city poises itself to reclaim the title of fashion capital of the world. He encounters obstacles in the forms of his past, his conniving mother's actions and the competitive environment of the industry.
Paul's American wife, Helen, comes from a wealthy family whose money helped the Sabine fashion house survive during austere times. Throughout the first season, she and Paul face marital problems due to his many secrets.
Claude, meanwhile, grapples with the emotional trauma of a vicious attack and robbery by a lover who then suddenly disappeared. He also longs for more recognition of his artistic contributions to the Sabine house, but his efforts are often thwarted by his dominating family and his own anti-social behavior.
The series also follows Billy Novak, a young American photographer who is hired by the Sabine family. He's inspired by and falls in love with a seamstress-turned-model named Nina. She, however, is more concerned with finding the illegitimate son she was recently forced to give up for adoption.
The series includes the lives and relationships of other employees in the fashion house. It also addresses the atmosphere of uneasiness and paranoia that arose in the Cold War era, as well as the hunt for former Nazi collaborators.
- Richard Coyle as Paul Sabine
- Tom Riley as Claude Sabine
- Mamie Gummer as Helen Sabine
- Frances de la Tour as Yvette
- Jenna Thiam as Nina
- Max Deacon as Billy Novak
- Alix Poisson as Charlotte
- Alexandre Brasseur as Victor
- Irène Jacob as Marianne
- Poppy Corby-Tuech as Dominique
- Bethan Mary James as Juliette
- Sarah Parish as Marjorie Stutter
- James Cosmo as Jules Trouvier
- Michael Kitchen as Lemaire
- Allan Corduner as Bompard
- Stanley Townsend as Stanley Rossi
- Michelle Gomez as Eliette
In Australia, the series premiered on BBC First on 14 March 2017. In South Korea, KBS 1TV started to air it on 30 June 2017. In Russia, the series premiered on Channel One Russia on 17 July 2017. In the United States, it began airing under the PBS Masterpiece umbrella on 8 October 2017.
- Nancy Tartaglione (31 January 2016). "Amazon's The Collection sets cast for post-War Paris fashion drama". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- Nancy Tartaglione (16 February 2016). "France Télévisions boards The Collection fashion drama; joins Amazon, BBC". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- Alex Ritman (30 November 2015). "Amazon orders first U.K. original drama The Collection from Ugly Betty producer". Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- Ali Jaafar (30 November 2015). "Amazon greenlights Oliver Goldstick's The Collection, its first original UK drama". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- Bernd Krannich (19 July 2016). "The Collection: Britische Amazon-Serie startet im September". TV Wunschliste (in German). Retrieved 30 August 2016.
- Raeside, Julia (16 September 2016). "The Collection: Amazon's haute couture drama has a whole wardrobe full of Nazi skeletons". Retrieved 28 November 2017 – via www.theguardian.com.
- Purcell, Charles (9 March 2017). "New This Week (March 13): Top Gear, The Collectors, Kardashians, India v Australia and live sport". The Green Room. Foxtel. Archived from the original on 10 March 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- 해외걸작드라마 컬렉션 (The Collection). KBS.
- "«Коллекция»: кто есть кто в сериале. Фильмы и Сериалы. Первый канал".