The Colonist was a weekly English-language tabloid newspaper published in Sydney from 1835 to 1840.
The Colonist was founded by John Dunmore Lang with a religious and political agenda. First published on the 1 January 1835 by Henry Bull and J. Spilsbury, The Colonist was published from 1835 until 1840, after which it was absorbed by the Sydney Herald.
- List of newspapers in Australia
- List of defunct newspapers of Australia
- List of newspapers in New South Wales
- Isaacs, Victor (2003). Two hundred years of Sydney newspapers : a short history (PDF). North Richmond: Rural Press. p. 5.
- "The Colonist (Sydney, NSW : 1835 - 1840)". Trove. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "The Sydney herald". State Library of New South Wales. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "Newspaper Digitisation Program". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Brown, Jerelynn (2011). "Tabloids in the State Library of NSW collection: A reflection of life in Australia". Australian Journal of Communication. 38 (2): 107–121.